Valued Contributor

As I am cleaning today on this snowy day, I look around at all of my "brown"furniture. I am reading that brown furniture is outdated and no longer the thing to have. We started collecting antiques in 1980 when we lived in a big old house and refinished many pieces and loved the look of Victorian in some things. My magazines at that time (example, OLD Country Living, Colonial Homes, Old Traditional Homes.) all featured that type of decorating. Now all I see in my decor magazines or on the TV home shows is very sleek, modern, minimal decor or farmhouse. I understand the younger generation nowadays want easier and less home care. We downsized and simplified somewhat when we had to move into a modern ranch house in 2001. I do like the galvanized tin, farmhouse look I am seeing everwhere and do buy some of it. Is anyone else feeling so very outdated by having "brown" furniture or kitchen cabinets? We are too old and set in our ways to get rid of all we accumluated over the years and I cannot bring myself to paint antique furniture even though it seems to be the fad now. They went through a time of doing that in the 1950's. And ideas on how to bring my style into a more current look?

Honored Contributor

I agree you should not paint anything. My sofa is a tan/burgundy print and I have two dark brown recliners in my living room. Also an antique rocking chair. Even though it isn't trendy, the furniture is comfortable so we won't be making any changes.

Respected Contributor

I don't let trends influence me much as I view them as sales tactics.  That said, if I wanted to refresh a room, I would change the secondary, accessory, color, e.g., pillows, throws, sit arounds. For example, with brown you could easily use red, turquoise, green, coral.

One last thing -- I would never, ever paint an antique.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you have some lovely pieces.  Trends come and go, but, the classics are forever.  Just look at photos from homes in Europe, castles, etc.  DH talks about painting things once in a while, but, it's just talk.  Too much HGTV.  If you feel a change is needed, do with accessories.

I think many of us struggle after taking down the Christmas decorations that make rooms feel warm and inviting.  We just bought some different throw pillows.  I'm sure a few sunny days would make me feel better too.  All in all, I like my wooden brown furniture.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Brown furniture.

[ Edited ]

Never mind the trends in home decor. I'll bet your home looks beautiful and unique.

Things you can try in order to freshen up the look:

Paint a light color, but not white.  Bring a small piece or drawer to the paint store for advice. I have found the most knowledgeable people working at Benjamin Moore, though you can buy the paint anywhere you choose.

Lighten up/ update your window treatments. Makes a big difference!

Same for the floor/ rugs and lamps.

Maybe remove some "brown" pieces from a room if they are visually weighing it down. A more modern look features lighter rooms with empty spaces. Don't over decorate- it looks Old.

If you like your cabinets, keep them- otherwise, paint them white. That's what I am doing with my oak cabinets. I loved my cherry cabinets from my previous home. To see how to update the look of good wood tone cabinets, stop in to a kitchen & bath store showroom. Look at displays and take home some brochures for inspiration. Not every home is white/ farmhouse/ contemporary. That's just one style, as is yours.

Choose lighter solid color(s) for your upholstered pieces. Keep use of traditional florals in art, decor and window treatments out. Dated when used with antiques. Forget trends. They are designed to get people to spend. Enjoy the beauty of your curated home!

Honored Contributor

Re: Brown furniture.

[ Edited ]

I've never had all 'brown' furniture, but love old pieces and more traditional styles... I'll tell you what, the newbies can have all of the throw-away, do-it-yourself, furniture-in-a-box their hearts desirs, right along with all the sleek, soul-less designs... I'll stick to what I like and what works for me, as what's 'on trend' has little relevance to one's personal style, once one has established a personal style... Most people's tastes change over time and my guess is theirs will too... One day, some of them will wake up and find they've actually developed some...

Woman Surprised Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

If I ever had to worry about someone's else's idea on how I should decorate my home, or what color pallet to use, I would probably have four bare white walls.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't like a lot of it but I think a piece or two of small painted furniture can break up the monotony of "brown furniture".  I have an armoire and a small hall chest which i got as pretty much unfinished furniture and i painted both with a distressed turquoise finish.  They are not the same finish.  I'd like to get rid of the armoire and bring in a white buffet that I have in the garage to serve as a TV stand.  It came with the white finish and natural wood top.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If you still love all of your antique furniture/pieces, then I wouldn't worry about what the "trends" are. If there are some pieces that you don't truly love, but have just hung on to for a number of years, then maybe consider selling them and replacing them with something that you like better. Nothing wrong with mixing antiques with a few pieces that have a more updated look. I used to collect antiques many years ago, but over time I found that I just didn't have the interest in them that I used to. I kept a few pieces that I really loved, and sold the rest and moved on, and I've never regretted my decision. I'd never paint any piece of antique furniture. You can always paint your walls a new light color, buy some bright throw pillows, add a pretty area rug, etc.

Trusted Contributor

@nomar 

Enjoy your home with what makes you both comfortable.  If you follow trends, you'll go broke redecorating every other year.  As others have mentioned, you can easily change a few accessories, etc.

Our home is very casual, it's what we're comfortable with.  Although it drives us crazy as we've been wanting new furniture in the livingroom for a few yrs.  With our 3 pets it's not so practical to purchase new & watch it get ruined by them.  The cats not so much anymore since they're much older, but our 1 1/2 yr. old lab .. well, she's another problem.  

Good luck on your decision making,