Honored Contributor

Bringing up an annual Thanksgiving theme thread....

.....  Is your Thanksgiving dinner served buffet style or family style?  Forever I did these holiday meals family style but over the past few years I have changed to buffet style.

I prefer having a pretty table to look at rather than platters of food taking up all the space.  But the main thing I dislike is the passing of the food.  When you set a table for 10 or 12 and the thing someone wants is down the other end, it is annoying to interrupt the flow of conversation passing food around the table.  Family style works much better with  fewer people, IMO.

What's your plan?

Respected Contributor

Re: Bringing up an annual Thanksgiving theme thread....

We always do buffet, no matter the number of people...and there will only be 6 of us this year. I might put rolls on the table, but that's it. Just seems quicker & easier!

Respected Contributor

Well I have to admit I never thought of buffet style and have always served Thanksgiving dinner family style.But now I will think about having it buffet style.Thank you.

Respected Contributor

We always do buffet style then people can help themselves and if they want more they just get up and get it. It is just a lot easier and manageable that way. Plus it lets the hostess and host enjoy the meal also.

Honored Contributor

It's buffet.  Since we downsized several years ago, all of our holiday meals are served buffet.  Like, OP I like to set out a pretty buffet tables.  I have my sideboard from my old dining room set and I have two card tables.  I enjoy the decorating!!  We set up a bar with wine,cider,soft drinks on the counter in the kitchen.  It's fluid, people can come and go as they please.  Serve themselves.  It's easier on me and I think family and friends get socialize and enjoy each other's company more this way.  

Frequent Contributor

I don't like the idea of a buffet at Thanksgiving.  Yes the table can get crowded when it full of all the dishes, but that (to me) is how it is supposed to be.  If I had a buffet, the food would have to be in the kitchen and the diners in the dining room.  When everyone is seated, I want them to stay there and not be getting up all the time to go to the kitchen to get some more potatoes.  'Please pass the cranberries' is preferable to me to getting up and serving yourself from another room.  

Also with our seating arrangement, if a particular person wanted to get up it could involve several others getting up to let the first person leave the table.  Actually, when I think of it, our Thanksgiving dinner starts normally with the words 'Which way do we pass the food - to the left or right?"  That is Thanksgiving to me!!

Contributor

Buffet style has always worked well for us. 

Honored Contributor

We do buffet style.  Growing up my Grandmother loved the holidays.  Out came the silver (I helped polish it once),  silver tiered candy trays, fine china, assorted candies she made, fancy tablecloths, cloth napkins...and so on.  It did teach me a lot about etiquette....setting a table, knowing how to place silverware  Grandma thought it important to know how to do these things.  I still haven't been invited to that sit down dinner at the White House!  There was something to be said for it and Grandma loved to do it but times have changed and we are more casual now.  

Honored Contributor

buffet style.....we are having 15-17 people. not enough space around the dining room table for everyone to sit down. we set up a thanksgiving table..... long table with a beautiful tablecloth,  dining room table is set, kitchen table is set. buffet is served on the island and buffet area in our kitchen. appetizers and bar are placed on various tables in the living room and family room.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

We serve buffet style and then sit at our dining room table.  Happy Thanksgiving all!