Honored Contributor

Re: Brighten Up Your Attic Space

Nice space and nicely done. Attics represent so much potential that's usually unused. I don't know how I'd use a viable attic space, and not all are viable without significant work, which might or might not be worth it. I don't, though, think I'd probably set up a sitting area or living space on that level of my home unless there was a good reason to do so. Not sure I'd want to go to what is usually at least a third floor and often the warmest area, just to hang out. The rug is very pretty and I like the sectional sofa featured in the picture.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

In the house that I grew up in we had a large attic but it was never used for anything but storage.  It had windows in it but it was still a little creepy because it was dark and not appealing to be in for very long.  

Our house now has only a crawl space.  The way the door to it is situated at the end of the hall we can't even put in a pull-down ladder without having to do significant structural changes.   My husband has to use a large step ladder to get into the space.  

Needless to say only things we don't need to get to very often are stored up there.

I would just love to have an attic like the one in the picture.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I'm looking for a sofa that has that "skirted" bottom.  I like that you can't see the feet.  I've looked so many places and only found one which was too big and more than I wanted to pay.  Nearly $2000.  It's for the formal living room and we never really use that space so I don't want to spend a lot of money on a sofa.  Love the atiic space.  I wish I could do something like that but we have those pull down attic stairs and a huge HVAC up there right in the middle.  The HVAC would have to be altered to cool/warm the attic area.  WE live in the Southeast and it's a pressure cooker up there.

@ScrapHappy Go to a privately owned store where you pick the fabric.  You can have most bottom styles you 
want.

Honored Contributor

That's one nice attic. A small powder room would be convenient in a space like that.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I'm looking for a sofa that has that "skirted" bottom.  I like that you can't see the feet.  I've looked so many places and only found one which was too big and more than I wanted to pay.  Nearly $2000.  It's for the formal living room and we never really use that space so I don't want to spend a lot of money on a sofa.  Love the atiic space.  I wish I could do something like that but we have those pull down attic stairs and a huge HVAC up there right in the middle.  The HVAC would have to be altered to cool/warm the attic area.  WE live in the Southeast and it's a pressure cooker up there.

@ScrapHappy Go to a privately owned store where you pick the fabric.  You can have most bottom styles you 
want.

The only stores around here are Ashley, Rooms To Go, Havertys, Lazy Boy, and American Signature Furniture.  Oh, there is one furniture outlet far away, they didn't have it either.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is beautiful as long as it is air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter.   Did you notice the old TV in the background?  lol

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@scraphappy We, too, live in the SE and you are not kidding about how hot our attics become!  One suggestion for a reasonably priced skirted sofa would be IKEA.  Not sure if they still carry them, but we got our's from there.  It is a cream colored muslin sofa with a skirt.  Like you, we did not want to spend a lot as it is in a upstairs den.  HTH

Honored Contributor

I want that rug!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Its more like a mini apartment----- I dont like the wallpaper it makes the space appear more closed in than it actually is....  And I dont like the coffee table.... It is nicely styled although there's too much white ....And I can just picture what the buttered popcorn would do to all that white..(check out the popcorn machine on the tiny counter).....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I like it!

Love paisley but not on that wall. I would pick a different pattern & brighter color rug.