Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bought a New Refrigerator

@BirkiLady 

Obviously, u didn't understand my post. Major Appliances are NOT throw-away products!!!!!!!!! I got ripped off many years ago - before the computer!!!! I rarely have to call an appliance repair person - but even one call is NOT worth paying $200. I used to be very TRUSTING - not anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee 

People are living a lot longer today - but the major appliances have a much shorter lifespan. Years ago, my Kenmore washing machine lasted 26 yrs and the matching dryer lasted 30 yrs.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a GE from 2016 - $600.  Sounds like you got a nice fridge for the money.  Mine is only about 15.5 cubic feet.  In the all necessary "bisque".

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

My mother always gets the warranty but DH feels that they are a rip off.  Thank goodness he's a Mr. Fix it so if anything should happen (and it has) he can fix what needs to be done.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@kivah  Explain your reasoning for buying a 5-year warranty when the refrigerator will only last about 10 years, according to the salesman. I don't get it. It is basically a "throw away appliance." Why waste your money on a warranty? 

Because if it needs repair within the five years, the repair is often half the cost of a new basic fridge. And when appliances are 'bad', they are most likely going to have an issue in that first three years. The cost of an extended three year warranty is often the same or less than the cost of just the service call to get to your door, then parts and a return trip to install them would be added onto that, if you don't have the warranty. 

I believe in those extended warranties for major appliances, as long as you watch the fee for them. Most of the ones we have bought, have indeed been less than or equal to just the trip charge, and we have used those warranties, at least 10 times in all my years of home owning. One freezer unit, we had to have repaired at least a half a dozen times, and the trip charge was way over $100 each time (or would have been, had we not had the warranty). Have had to use it on the stove a couple of times as well. 

The big rip off is that they try to sell you new extended warranties after the original one you purchased has expired, and that continuing cycle adds up over time to be more expensive than just replacing the appliance. But those initial ones, many places are an excellent deal. I'd rather have a basic appliance with a long extended warranty, than put that money into a higher end appliance (which, with the more bells and whistles, will be more likely to have problems anyway) without one.

Honored Contributor

It's a well know fact that major appliances are no longer manufactured to last (most things are not these days, in general).

People who have long lasting appliances, have them because they were manufactured long ago. My fridge is about 35 years old. I hate it. The inside was way too small all the years I've raised a son, many of the interior shelves that were plastic have cracked, the 'bars' in the doors have been broken, and repaired, its been through the paces. But it works, It works well and keeps on running. So I keep looking at it and cussing at it when I have to try to stuff enough things in it. I know the only reason it is still going is because of how long ago it was manufactured. 

My brother in law was an electronic and appliance repair man for Sears for decades, retiring a few years back. He used to tell you exactly which brands were the best in any particular category but came to believe near the end of his career, that it is all a cr@p shoot what you buy now, and brand means very little. Many of the top brands and some of the 'house' brands come off the same lines in the same factories, some built to different (better?) specs, some not, just putting different name plates on them. 

Maytag used to be our go to line for appliances back in the 1960's and 70's, and they lasted for decades, but I hear they aren't what they used to be either. 

I think all the 'research' into looking for the best brand of any given appliance is pretty futile these days. They are all built to fail earlier than they were years ago. My fridge is a GE, and when I do replace it, I won't believe that GE is still the thing to buy based on past performance. It just isn't like that anymore.

Respected Contributor

when you buy the contract it kicks in after the first year so its still 5 years but you have the first year from manufactuer then your 5 year contract so you dont lose anything. i have a contract on a maytag dishwasher and it was well worth it. every repair was like 300 bucks and i had atleast 8 repairs in 10 years of owning dishwasher.

Respected Contributor

Extended warranties are pure profit for the store and salesperson. That’s why they push us to buy them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 

Years ago I never purchased the warranties because most major appliances lasted forever - and rarely broke down. Just read all the reviews on refrigerators, washing machines, dryers --- some break down after a few monhs. They're built with plastic - instead of metal.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 

Most appliances come with a 1 yr warranty --- definitely not enough!!!!

Costco gives a 2-yr warranty.

If ur appliance breaks down after that - u wish u had the warranty.