Respected Contributor

Re: Bought a New Refrigerator

The thing about extended warranties is if you buy a 5-yr extended warranty for instance you're paying for 5 years but actually only getting 4 years because the first year is free from the manufacturer.  What you're doing instead is transferring that free/first-year warranty from the manufacturer to a paid warranty from Lowes.  It's just a money-maker for the store but sometimes ends up being well worth the money.  

Honored Contributor

We had so many problems with our Kenmore fridge with the icemaker not working, we kept getting error message and it would shut off the fridge.  It was 14 years old and kept getting it repaired.  We just purchased the black stainless LG.  I absolutely love it and did  purchase the extended warranty because of the cost of the fridge.  With the warranty we do get free water filters for two years and if you don't use the warranty they will give you money back.  I thought it was a no brainer.

Honored Contributor

The condo we bought has all GE appliances except for a Bosch dishwasher.  Our previous home also had GE and I'm satisfied with that brand.  I can't wait for our 7 year old refrigerator that was here when we moved in to break down!  It's a side by side and I hate it!  The freezer is so awkward space wise.  And we have never bought an extended warranty.

Honored Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

We had so many problems with our Kenmore fridge with the icemaker not working, we kept getting error message and it would shut off the fridge.  It was 14 years old and kept getting it repaired.  We just purchased the black stainless LG.  I absolutely love it and did  purchase the extended warranty because of the cost of the fridge.  With the warranty we do get free water filters for two years and if you don't use the warranty they will give you money back.  I thought it was a no brainer.

Did you buy from Lowe's?

A friend had a disastrous time with her new washer from Lowe's, needed someone to come out several times, she couldn't use it at all from Day 1.     Clothes piling up, she finally had to go to a laundramat.    After a couple of visits from repair service, it's fine and she loves it.

Honored Contributor

I just bought a new dishwasher--a GE that has 3 racks in it. And an extra dry feature. My old one was 19 years old----and sounded like a freight train--this new one is like a.....Tesla Man Happy---super quiet. This has the features I really use but not too many bells and whistles. 

Trusted Contributor

Getting a new appliance is so refreshing!!!

I hope you have better luck with your Lowe's appliance purchase than we did.  We fell for the getting 5% off with Lowe's card.  Every appliance we purchased did not last - Washer/Dryer, Hot Water heater, dish washer and Vaccuum (not Dyson but another expensive brand I can't remember).  All died within 5 years and were Whirlpool/KitchenAid - big brand names horrible quality.  I replaced all of those appliances with ones purchased from local appliance and plumbing suppliers.  They have outlasted 10 years and are still going strong.  Also I get great service.  Will never purchase an extended warranty.  The stores get a bonus for selling them because they know 99% will never be used.

Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Getting a new appliance is so refreshing!!!

I hope you have better luck with your Lowe's appliance purchase than we did.  We fell for the getting 5% off with Lowe's card.  Every appliance we purchased did not last - Washer/Dryer, Hot Water heater, dish washer and Vaccuum (not Dyson but another expensive brand I can't remember).  All died within 5 years and were Whirlpool/KitchenAid - big brand names horrible quality.  I replaced all of those appliances with ones purchased from local appliance and plumbing suppliers.  They have outlasted 10 years and are still going strong.  Also I get great service.  Will never purchase an extended warranty.  The stores get a bonus for selling them because they know 99% will never be used.

Wow.  So are you saying that  name brand appliances sold by Lowes are lesser quality somehow?

Esteemed Contributor

@Pooky1 

If u charged the refrigerator on a credit card, many credit card companies give an additional 1-yr warranty.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady 

The refrigerator only cost $700. - which to me is "cheap." I got a 1-yr warranty from Lowes --- and I paid $130. for an additional 5 yrs (approx. $26/yr.). The salesman actually mentioned a 3-yr warranty. I'm sure this refrigerator will last longer than 8 years. I live in southern Calif. If u call any appliance repair person - it costs around $200. minimum - which is more expensive than the 5-yr warranty. I don't consider a refrigerator a throw-away item.

Most repairmen are SCAMMERS. In the mid-1980's, my refrigerator went out and I called a repairman who told me it's the compressor -- and I paid him $500. to replace. A month later, the refrigerator broke down and I had to buy another one. After watching many of those tv shows, ie, 60 Minutes; Dateline; 20/20 --- I realized that I was SCAMMED!!!!

Now - when something goes wrong with my washer/dryer (after the warranties expire) - I just replace them.

Years ago, I also got SCAMMED by a repairman I called to fix my washing machine.

Now - I'm lots smarter and wiser --- and with this site and Nextdoor --- I'll never be taken advantage again. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah  If you don't consider a refrigerator which the salesman said will only last about 10 years to be a "throw away appliance" . . . why do you consider a washer and dry to be "throw away applicances"? What is the difference?

Seems like you've been scammed a lot! Don't you check with BBB and/or get recommendations from trusted friends before hiring anyone?

I've never had your problems and I've never needed a repairman for any of my appliances, which have lived lengthy lives. Nor have I ever purchased a warranty. Are you hard on the products your purchase? Never heard of this before. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.