Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I have donated a lot of books over the years but have a half-wall in my living room filled with books.

They are generally sorted by subject:

biographies

travel

spiritual, inspirational, health, beauty

novels/classics/scifi/mystery/detective/etc.

animals/pet care

plants/horticulture/gardening/trees

reference/dictionary/thesaurus/atlas

two shelves of Victoria magazine and other decorating magazines (the magazine Victoria, not Victoria's Secret catalog) issues beginning with the 1990s

one shelf of Whole Dog Journal publication beginning with the 1990s

and, of course, much miscellaneous

Reading books on the Kindle was perfect for commuting, but now at home, it's a total annoyance to keep it charged.  A total, stupid annoyance.  

I love looking at my wall of books.  It's home.

If and when I move, my books will be packed first.  (As a matter of fact, I just got through unpacking them because earlier this year I had intended to move.)

@GingerPeach

I guess which you meant would just depend on what you were intending on decorating! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Cute, @Mominohio Woman Wink

I do think most everyone here is familiar with Victoria magazine, so basically the explanation wasn't so much for folks here, but all too often when I mention the magazine in conversation, people get a blank look and/or think I mean the Victoria's Secret catalog.  So now I always make sure it's clear what I mean!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

I have one smaller bookcase I keep full of books, but no more.  Before we downsized, I had several bookcases full of books of all kinds.  I donated probably 3/4 of them.  I also now own a Nook e-reader, but I'm not too crazy for it.  I still like the feel of a good book,

and I don't have to worry about keeping it charged ... the e-reader is nice for travel, though.

When I find a book at the mission store or yard sale, I buy it, read it, then donate it back to the mission store.  That way I don't have a mountain of books in every room, and someone else can benefit from it.

I still like the looks of a full bookcase and it does feel like home to me.  I know you can get anything digitally now, but I've grown up with books and I just cannot give them up completely... 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Cute, @Mominohio Woman Wink

I do think most everyone here is familiar with Victoria magazine, so basically the explanation wasn't so much for folks here, but all too often when I mention the magazine in conversation, people get a blank look and/or think I mean the Victoria's Secret catalog.  So now I always make sure it's clear what I mean!  

@Mominohio

It occurs to me this morning that what I said here makes it clear I don't know enough people who are also interested in decorating.  Maybe that's true for more than just me, and why so many of us hang out here on the Home thread.

Do you have friends as interested in decorating as you are?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor
Both myself and hubby are avid readers, and had hundreds if not thousands of books, with the advent of Kindle's though, we have made the switch and have donated probably 95% of our books. Spiders and bugs like hiding among books and papers, so there is that added benefit to purging them.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

We love books. There is something about sitting down with a book, a mug of tea and reading vs doing the same with an electronic device...I don't know, lol.

We have books everywhere. We give them to those who fall for one when visiting, we leave them behind when we go somewhere for others to pick up. My eldest has his room covered with shelves of books that he reads over and over again.  We donate to those places that will accept them.

I don't look at books as a decorating item but as a necessary. You just fit them in where they'll fit. I do NOT collect cookbooks, however. I have a few, my recipe box and that's all I need (plus the wonderful ladies on the recipe forum). : )

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio I found it difficult to purge any books until the last few years. My DH collects ephemria, so those books won't go unless he decides to sell. But, the books I collected over the years since college have been disintegrating due to the poor quality of paper they were printed on. They don't have many years left. When I walk into our library, I hear the books speaking to me. They want to be read again. So we donated them to our historical scociety. I usually read the old favorites on my tablet these days. Thought I would never say that. The only exception would be cookbooks. Love to curl up on the couch on a rainy day with a cookbook!