Honored Contributor

Re: Blue and White Sitting Room - Nautical Vibe...

Ha, ha, good one, @just bee !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My thoughts... As several of us have noted, agree there's a lot in this room, so I too might look for ways to pare down just a bit, but also agree with those who find the room cozy and comfy. Were this my home, the ottoman would not have a permanent place in front of the fire, but on a cold winter's day I might pull it up there to warm up for a few minutes. While not glaringly nautical, the overall blue scheme, multiple paintings of sailing ships and plate of seashells give the room a subtle seafaring vibe, at least to me... Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb    Definitely could be a New England shoreline vintage home.  Have seen houses like this in Connecticut and elsewhere in coastal New England.  The older homes always had small rooms to retain heat.

Many people bought shoreline summer cottages and "winterized" them by installing central heating, storm windows, etc.  Some had sufficient lot size to create ground level additions and some instead built "up" to gain space.

They can be charming but today unless one is a fanatic housekeeper and clever at storage and a true minimalist they are difficult to keep free of what these days is called clutter.

Older generations cherished their "clutter" as a sign of the abundance they had achieved through their hard work.

In any event, I like this cozy room very much and could curl up with a good book and a pot of tea.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@stevieb    Definitely could be a New England shoreline vintage home.  Have seen houses like this in Connecticut and elsewhere in coastal New England.  The older homes always had small rooms to retain heat.

Many people bought shoreline summer cottages and "winterized" them by installing central heating, storm windows, etc.  Some had sufficient lot size to create ground level additions and some instead built "up" to gain space.

They can be charming but today unless one is a fanatic housekeeper and clever at storage and a true minimalist they are difficult to keep free of what these days is called clutter.

Older generations cherished their "clutter" as a sign of the abundance they had achieved through their hard work.

In any event, I like this cozy room very much and could curl up with a good book and a pot of tea.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Thank you for the post @aroc3435, interesting to note and I too like this space... I've never been one to back away from a little warm, cozy 'clutter'... Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

It's a pretty room but a cramped room. I would remove the fire hazard ottoman from in front of the fireplace and some of the decorative pieces.
Respected Contributor

@stevieb 

Yes, definite NE style.  I like this room a lot, but as you say, it's on the cluttered side so I'd need to toss some items.  (I already have them picked out so I'll feel comfy with the space while I'm enjoying looking out the window at the water.)  thank you for sharing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like that the room looks cozy, comfy, and "lived in". Like many others posted, I would move the ottoman away from the fireplace. I'm not really into boat paintings, but it does give this room a New England vibe. 

As far as it being cramped and cluttered...Yes, a bit, but not everyone has huge rooms and minimal decor. If you have lots of things you love and live in a home with small rooms, what else is there to do? Get rid of treasured items? Move to a bigger house? Not choices all of us are willing to or able to make.  

Honored Contributor

Too much furniture and too much stuff....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

It would be a nightmare to dust and vacuum that room.  Way too much stuff.