Respected Contributor

Re: Blinds for sliding glass door

Have you considered sewing a simple fabric curtain? If you got some washable fabric at the fabric store, it might fit the bill. You might find a remnant of a nice quality fabric for a steal. Ask about the fabric content before you buy it and you probably should prewash it before you sew it. Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

I guess Happy Housewife gets us busy doing "busywork" researching her problem, then disappears. You usually get that sort of reaction from newbies with no manners.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 2/15/2014 Carmie said:

We have a camper located in a permanent campground and I know exactly what you mean about privacy.

Our campground neighbors have a park model with sliding doors and they have a curtain with grommets mounted on a large rod. They keep it open during the daytime and just pull it shut at night. It's room darkening, so we can't tell if they're even "home."

These curtains are available everywhere and are easy to hang. They are inexpensive too.

this may be a good alternative. I have to ask DH if he thinks we could attach a curatin rod that would stay up through repeated pulling the curtain as the walls of a camper are rather flimsy - they are like a wallpaper attached to a piece of paneling but no solid wall behind the panels, just a framework of studs.hard to describe but suffice to say = they are NOT sturdy.
Super Contributor

On 2/16/2014 kachina624 said: I guess Happy Housewife gets us busy doing "busywork" researching her problem, then disappears. You usually get that sort of reaction from newbies with no manners.

not nice

Respected Contributor

Your comment about attaching a curtain rod gave me an idea: how about attaching a curtain track on the ceiling above the door frame? The hooks for the curtain would be the type that fits into the track. I would also attach some weights to the hem so they don't fly about when door is moved. Failing that, how about bracing the bottom sides of the flyaway blinds so they stay put? I don't have a camper but have had other situations where this has worked. HTH.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I found a dealer in a nearby town that sells Hunter Douglas - the maker of the blind we have here in Florida so i will contact them when we get there in May. Thank you all for the nice suggestions. First choice will be a blind that opens side to side - if that is too expensive i may try a curtain or last choice will be to keep what i have.
Contributor

I loathe blinds. They are dated and so very ugly. I have sliding glass doors leading out to the balconies on both floors of my home.I use drapes on one of them and they are black chiffon and let in some light. On the other one I use beaded curtains. They take 4 panels each and look fantastic.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 LuxeDeluxe said:

I loathe blinds. They are dated and so very ugly. I have sliding glass doors leading out to the balconies on both floors of my home.I use drapes on one of them and they are black chiffon and let in some light. On the other one I use beaded curtains. They take 4 panels each and look fantastic.

You have rather exotic taste. I don't think blinds are dated at all.
Honored Contributor

Vertical blinds are passé.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment