Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black home with white trim

@BirkiLady Thank you for your encouraging comments  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The house is adorable - love the different shaped door, windows, shutters.

You peaked my interest in door colors so I googled "what color door for black house"

That exact house and picture is on a website called "Talkdecor.com"

I like a slate gray or muted Tiffany blue door 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake  Our community has several universities and colleges. We're geared to young people! It keeps the rest of us from becoming stuck in a rut. I may never have a black home, but my plan is to move to a loft with original brick walls from one of the large old buildings built in the early 1900's and now sold as condominiums.

Just have to become old enough to leave my home, neighbors, beloved yard and wonderful location. I've been looking for a long time for a condo with two bedrooms that's large enough to take half my furniture and all my clothes with private laundry room; 2+ baths, an underground garage (or two); and be able to afford what I want!! When I'm too old to enjoy my patios and putzing in the flowerbeds, it will be time to move. Other half of furniture will probably go to my grandson, who may move into my house if he's at the University of NE. That's the plan so he doesn't have to pay rent in an apartment. He will, however, have to maintain my home and pay his own utilities, as well as take care of the lawn and snow removal. I'm not about to continue to pay for that while he's living here!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Didn't sound good to me but its adorable to see it!!

Esteemed Contributor

This home is beautiful. Love the color choice here. 

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It's an adorable house. I probably wouldn't pick black but it looks nice. This isn't, though, what I picture when I think mid-century. Thankfully. 

I would have referred to this home as a tutor not mid-century but either way it is a charming home and JeanLake's son is very creative. 

Honored Contributor

I love it ! 🥰

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake,  I had a faint memory of a house I posted maybe a few years ago, that is black and white-- or perhaps it's charcoal and white, that reminds me of your son's wonderful house:

062516_MichelleAdamsHome_27.jpg

It's in Ann Arbor, Mich., and was renovated by former design editor, Michelle Adams.

She stylishly carried that black and white theme all through her fabulous house, as you can see:

062516_MichelleAdamsHome_7.jpg

062516_MichelleAdamsHome_5.jpg

She and your son have great taste.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake, When we were young marrieds, we bought a house on a new street of Cape Cod homes.  The house across the street was painted black with white trim and was very attractive.  Your son’s home is also very attractive.  It’s unusual.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the house looks great and he did a wonderful job.  It depends on the style and location for this to work and this house is perfect.  I would love to see his neighborhood, sounds fascinating with the chosen colors.  As a neighbor I wouldn't mind it next door to me.  It's heartwarming to hear your son found his niche and has such a supportive Mom

@jeanlake