Esteemed Contributor

Son is painting his 1000 sqft mid-century home black with white trim. He hasn't decided on front door color yet. Many young professionals are buying into this area, located near our quaint, historic downtown. They're fixing up these 'tired' looking properties with large backyards - half acre properties. Have you seen this exterior color combo in your area? It's not my style, but son's career is remodeling and working with metal. He's excited about this change to his 1950's home. 

Trending: Dark Exterior Paint Colors - Lolly Jane 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Black home with white trim

I love it!!!!

Respected Contributor

I was prepared to not like the color combination on a house but I really like this!  It sure works well on this home.

I love these older, charming homes.  I am happy to hear they are being fixed up.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

A charming house, but I would go just a bit lighter with a charcoal or other dark gray.

I imagine some neighbors will not be pleased with the house painnted black.

Not sure what your son's career has to do with his choice of exterior paint color. You trying to justify it, perhaps?

Regular Contributor

Love it!  Like the previous poster, I was prepared not to like it, but this is fabulous.  Congrats to your son!!

Respected Contributor

I like it. Works well on this house. This house is charming.

Honored Contributor

I think I would like a soft shade of black with an off white trim more than the true black/white combination.  The photo in the OP seems to be what I have described.  It's not too harsh, and I do like it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting.  At least the black mildew that tends to grow on the north side of the homes in some areas wouldn't show.  

It would keep the house warmer in the winter.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake 

It's a bold contrast for sure.  I've seen black/white combo a few times.  I think it will need another bold bright color on the door to break up all the darkness.  I personally shy away from dark colors both indoors/outdoors.  It does look good but I think the color will fade in time as dark colors tend to.  

Esteemed Contributor

With a great colored front door, this combo is a head turner. I asked my more conventional-thinking hubs to keep his comments to himself and not to discourage my son. My son is dyslexic - quit college after freshman year because he was so frustrated in the classroom. His grades didn't reflect his abilities. He colors outside the lines in his creativity and his color choice doesn't surprise me at all. He bought a 'fix up' home and just may double the worth by the time he makes this home his own. Half the homes on his block are renovated adorable while the other half are tired and of much-needed repair. Thanks for being patient with my mom rant.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau