Trusted Contributor

Re: Black home with white trim

It's different but I like it.

Respected Contributor

@jeanlake - I have not seen this type of color combination on an older (or younger) home anywhere yet, but I like it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Regarding your niece, I've seen photos of interior dark walls, too. My son's friends have done a lot of interesting things to their first homes, especially with fireplaces, decks, fire pits, etc.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT Thank you for your comments. You are kind. Out of 3 children, my son's had the toughest time. He's raising his toddler alone (wife has addiction / alcohol problems). We live a ten minute drive from his house and help where we can. Enjoy your week.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake 

You should tell your son his house is on talkdecor.com

His house is a hit!

Valued Contributor

This is a lovely home and so wonderful that your son and other young people are reclaiming these gems. I especially love the “shade” of white that he chose. Not a stark, modern white but more of a cream or ivory which blends with the traditional styling of the house. These little choices make a huge difference.

I think it’s great that you are so supportive of your son and his talents. Creative people rarely take the expected path. Keep us updated!

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@PamfromCT Thank you for your comments. You are kind. Out of 3 children, my son's had the toughest time. He's raising his toddler alone (wife has addiction / alcohol problems). We live a ten minute drive from his house and help where we can. Enjoy your week.    

@jeanlake, I am so sorry to hear of this predicament.  I feel for your son and his little one, and also for you.  

We are Mothers forever.  What your child goes through, you do too.  Your son is so lucky to have you.  There are so many people with addiction problems that destroy so much.  

Growing up, my late Mom used to say “Everyone has their problems.”  An understatement.  Hang in there and hope for a happy ending.  Many times it comes.  At 76 years, I could write a book about happy endings I never dreamed would come. God bless you for the love and care you are giving.  

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake ..........The house is beautiful.  Your son has great taste.  I wish him and your family happiness.

I cant find the words to say how the negative posts in this thread upsets me.  I can only imagine what impact they have had on you.  My advise is to ignore them.  Those posters dont deserve your time.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Absolutely STUNNING!! Blue is my favorite color, so a blue door would be fabulous! I like it white too though. Your son did a great job!!

I forget who mentioned it-but geraniums would pop against the black for sure! Or any colorful vibrant flower.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all due respect, I guess I'm just not seeing many critical or upsetting posts. I am seeing expressions of ideas and opinions, some of which indicate a preference for other color choices, both for houses and doors, and a few concerns about heat retention, but most everyone has said the house is appealing. It goes without saying that when you post something like this on a message board, there's not going to be a universality of opinion and that people are going to express various thoughts, ideas, suggestions and preferences. Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...