Respected Contributor

Re: Black home with white trim

This home is an attention grabber.  In my opinion, in a good way. I think it's unique and attractive. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Hi Patriot. The smaller homes on bigger lots are architecturally attractive in son's neighborhood. Navy was his first color choice but a house nearby is painted this way. He also liked dark gray, but the house across the street got painted first. Homes, near downtown, built before 1950s have historical codes and approval, but his house is 1950s.    

@jeanlake  Well, how 'bout that.  He was thinking navy, too Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This home looks great!   I never thought of black for a home but how good this looks.  The white shutters and door give it a pop.  Lovely.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I like it!  We have a few houses in our small city w/ the B/W color scheme.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I suppose in the right area this would fit in but in Arizona it would be an heat inferno unless you wanted your ac to run all day and night. 

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 Right now son's thinking of a cool, mid-blue door color and will paint shed in backyard the same color. The neighbor with dark gray / white trim home has a yellow door. It's striking. Again, I'm not this bold with my exterior colors, but son is in his 30s - and I fully expect him to be creative. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Cute cottage but the paint job ruins it IMO.

@Kachina624 Can you imagine the HEAT it would absorb?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty Daughter lives in Queen Creek, AZ. She and son have already laughed about dark exterior homes in AZ. I can't imagine the heat generated.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@manny2 Right now son's thinking of a cool, mid-blue door color and will paint shed in backyard the same color. The neighbor with dark gray / white trim home has a yellow door. It's striking. Again, I'm not this bold with my exterior colors, but son is in his 30s - and I fully expect him to be creative. 

@jeanlakeWe need creative people to shake us up a bit. Our society is filled with cookie cutter images. I think the cool mid-blue sound fabulous. I can't wait to see it, and the shed painted the same color will add just the right amount of contrast.

My daughter is young and creative too, so I appreciate the ability to go for it. I am not as bold in my choices either, so I live vicariously through them

Respected Contributor

Before I saw the photo I wasn't sure about the color combination. After seeing the photo I really like it. Can't wait to see it after he paints the door.