Valued Contributor

Re: Black & White Bold Tile Bath

NO and it seems like a lot of windows for a bathroom.

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

Your pictures remind me of some of the houses I used to see while house hunting.

My late  husband decided he wanted to move.  Our house is already pretty big (3,000 sq ft) but he wanted fancier and bla bla.

Well, he was always working so I'd meet up with various Realtors (most of whom he knew because of his company).  I'd swear them to secrecy that they wouldn't tell him I barely looked at the houses.

Why?  Because all I could think of is trying to write out a check every month to pay for the things!  Now this was back in the 1990's.

We were within a few months of owning our house totally and he decides he wants to move!! Ummmm...I thinking..that's crazy!  

Like many of you ladies, I knew how to 'work' things to get what I wanted.  I was a stay at home mom and was very happy with my life.  My daughter was heading off to college and the other would follow in two years.  That just wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, some of the stories I could tell you guys about visiting these (back then and for the DC/Va area they were mansions).  But they were not like the one's you see on BRAVO's LA show though, not even close.

Anyway, this (sight-seeing houses) must have gone on for maybe as long as 6 or 7 months.  Then he lost interest and I was relieved.

What made me think about all of this was the house I saw that was TOTALLY ALL black and white.  It had white leather furniture in the living room, real leather.  The couch was white leather, even the tables were black plastic looking with (swear to you) white leather inserts on top!  Black toilet, black and white sink in bathroom.  It would make you dizzy!  People 'supposedly' lived in this house!

Another house was round.  Well, the living room was round.  Looking back, I can still see this curved living room.  That's the main thing I remember about THAT house.

Another one had weird cubby holes and hidden spaces.  I think that one had many 'alarms' all over it.  THAT was the house I accidentally bumped against the wall and hit the EMERGENCY button (it was in the @#$ hallway).  It went off and my youngest daughter was with me.  She started screaming and the Realtor ran to the control panel and punched in some buttons and PHEW! it stopped.  Who in the name of Heaven would want to live like that?  I remember a few had those 'safe rooms'.  I just stood and looked in.  I wasn't about to walk into one of those rooms.

I won't bore you guys with some of the strange things in these houses.  The houses themselves were like a regular house to me.  Very little land.  Right on top of each other.

@lolakimono  I like it when you post these pictures because it brings back memories. Some funny, some makes me sad that my husband's not here to laugh about my memories.  Some of what I've posted here he never knew about.  The Realtors also swore me to secrecy because he'd have been angry that they weren't trying to sell me these houses.

Incidentally, the one house I took him to, he wanted to buy it.  I talked him out of it.

Now it has been a long time since he died.  I still live in the same house.  I walk around and have such good memories about my girls, big family parties, etc.  

I often think how lucky (yes lucky) I was that we didn't go hiney in debt buying those places because by now I'd have had to move because it would have been like starting all over paying for it.

I've met so many widows like myself and many of you.  I have friends who (like me) have long paid for their houses and live in them alone.  Yes, we're in the same boat.

But, I think GOD was looking out for me when I heard that voice in my head saying, "You don't want this house.  Walk away".

I will leave you with one giggle.  So, I must be honest and admit I did fall in love with a brown (milk chocolate) colored toilet and bathroom.  

I talked my husband into redoing our hall bathroom and...yes, I got that chocolate colored toilet and bathroom.  But we eventually decided to change it to a Kohler "Bique" colored bathroom.  That toilet was a joke to our friends for a long time.

I think he put it in another house he was building.  I know all of you widows will know what I'm talking about when I say how sad I feel when I realize I can't turn to him and say, "Honey!  Where did you put that brown toilet of ours?"

That's what I miss.  That's what all of us widows miss.  Don't we ladies?

@lolakimono  You always post the most amazing pictures.  I'm curious.  What design style do YOU prefer?  My guess (because you have an amazing sense of style) is that your 'style' is a combination of many.  You are one of the few (like my late husband) who can take anything and make it look amazing.

Honored Contributor

Spent a few hours yesterday at a locl home show.  Saw many bathroom products I like better, probably a good thing.  That set-up cries money -  not mine though.

Honored Contributor

How many people are expected to use that bathroom?  It certainly doesn't look homey.  Those huge mirrors and sinks, the long walk to the shower.  What looks like fluorescent strip lighting on the ceiling.  And what is on the left-hand side?  Are those mirrored storage lockers or more windows?

It looks like it's by the same "designer" who did the red shower bathroom.  Nyet!

Honored Contributor

@hellodali Thanks for the hearts.  Problem is now I can't stop thinking about that brown toilet.  I remember it was hard to get shiny clean.  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Your posts are always so fun to read. Yes, memories are difficult to share when widowed. I smile to myself and fondly remember those great times. At times, my son also says something and we have a hearty laugh about his dad which warms my heart.  Life moves on and I am making new memories. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I don't like the tile.

Respected Contributor

I like the colour palette used.

Honored Contributor

IMO, this is a very masculine bathroom, what I'd see in a bachelor  pad.  It's nicely done if you like this sort of thing.  The tiled floor is a bit wild. I'd use only one of the styles for the entire floor. 

Don't know of anyone who'd like a wall of windows without blinds or curtains in the bathroom, even though there is an enclosed space opposite the windows.  Even if it was difficult for someone to get over the high wall without a ladder, I'd be constantly thinking someone was lurking out there. 

I'd start over if I had the space. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Just like in fashion, I love color AND patterns.

The only white walls that I have are in my hallways.  Every room has color.  I also like things with a Spanish influence, which reminds me of my time there.  I love quilts, so I have a lot of things that appeal to my inner quilter.  My house is eclectic, but everyone says that it looks like me.