Super Contributor

Bissel Little Green Machine carpet cleaner -- any opinions?

At the cottage we have cheap carpeting throughout -- it's an oatmeal color very flat foam-backed carpet off the roll at Home Depot. We keep it pretty clean by vacuuming and protecting with towels at the entrances to interior rooms but there are some spots of soil in the areas near the door and in the kitchen (not food stains or spills but from dirt tracked in by the man who winterizes it and turns on the water in the spring.)

The water out there is pretty hard, well water, though I guess I could haul some jugs from home. What I want is just something that will freshen high traffic areas and get out those few dirty spots. I have a friend who swears that using water alone with no soap or cleaner keeps her carpets nicer without any residue from the cleaning agent and was sort of pondering that notion for the cottage.

I also have a Berber in my basement at home and would like to clean high traffic areas.

Does anyone have experience with the Bissel Green Machine (or any other cleaning device) for these sorts of applications? Some of the online literature about the Green Machine makes me think it's just a spot cleaner and not for rooms of say 10 x 12 feet. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bissel Little Green Machine carpet cleaner -- any opinions?

I had one and yes, it's a great little hand held cleaner. Great for upholstery, carpet spots, stairs and cleaning vehicle carpet and interior.

I say "had" because while it's a great little machine it would constantly clog with sand from the carpets. I have very sandy soil being so close to the water and I was constantly clearing the jets. If sand isn't an issue where you're at then you'll be fine.

I'd say a 10 by 12 carpet deserves a full size machine.

Valued Contributor

I have a Bissell little green machine; agree with Snowpuppy, it's not for a large 10 x 12 carpet. I find it excellent for minor spills on my carpeting between pro cleanings, and it works on the stairs. Don't have sand problems but muddy areas after it rains. I have tried it on a 7x10 area rug, but it's a lot of work requiring elbow grease. In addition, the rug got very wet in spots and took a while to dry.

Frequent Contributor

I own a Bissell Little Green Machine, and yes it is only for spot cleaning (I.e. The occasional spill, pet accident, etc). The wand/sprayer has a width of about 2-3 inches. It would take a very long time to to do a room 10 by 12 by hand. I would certainly recommend a full size machine. Qvc sells a V32159 Bissell Quicksteamer. This appears lighter and a bit smaller than my big carpet cleaner, but with the same efficiency.
Super Contributor

I have the Bissel little green machine and use it mostly on furniture or car upholstery. I also have a small upright Bissel carpet cleaner that I use often on high traffic areas and spots. Love them both! Good luck!
Honored Contributor

I have one and think it works well for pet stains. That's about all I use it for.

Honored Contributor

I have the Hoover Spot Scrubber. And I am quite impressed what a great job the little machine did. I cleaned the carpet where the dog had several accidents during the night. You can't tell where the carpet got dirty - no stains or discoloration. AND I was shocked how quickly the carpet was dry. I thought it would take hours to dry. It was dry the first time I tested it.

It is definitely for cleaning small areas.

Honored Contributor

Bissell makes a lightweight upright carpet cleaner that QVC sells. It would be perfect for your purpose. The smaller machine is more for spot cleaning. This upright will enable you to do a larger area. I believe it's under $100. Do a search for Bissell and you'll see it. It's $89.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Thank you everyone; don't know why I had the impression the Green Machine was a full-size carpet cleaner. I will look at the one Kachina recommended. thanks!

Respected Contributor

I have one that we've had for at least 12 years - maybe more.

I don't think I could get along without it. DH spills things frequently on his way from kitchen to office. And pup sometimes gets a little upset tummy. The LGM cleans them all right up. It's a wonderful little gadget. I am sure the newer ones work even better.