Honored Contributor

Re: 🛁 🐦 Birdbaths: Yay or Nay? 🐦 🛁

I have a small condo and a small patio I'd love to have a bird bath but with my plants and patio furniture I don't have room ........PLUS I have 2 cats they are inside cats with patio priviledges and I would be afraid they would harm the birds..........Cat Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@dmod nj, that is the same one we have in our backyard.  We store ours in the garden shed through the Winter, though. 

Hi @IamMrsG, Smiley Happy   I did the same thing, until I got a heater.  I wasn't sure how it would work out, but it was fine all winter. I live in Jersey.  Even with the snow and ice, it was fine.    I love chickadees and see MANY at the feeders and bird bath. Once I saw that bath in a garden supply store, I bought it.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Twopeas - What a cute baby you have!  I love him.   We also have a house bird.    They are just so funny sometimes.

@chickenbutt I don't know if you read my blog last year about "my" birdie, but he landed in a tree in our backyard. He was so tame he came to me and I hurried and bought a cage, etc. I tried for six months to find his owner and then thought I would re-home him with someone who had other cockatiels. Well.....that lasted three days. I cried my eyes out and my dh finally said "GO GET THE BIRD". Sob...o.....kay....When I called to check on him I could hear him calling for me and that did it. He's very social and very attached to me. So....we have a bird. My oldest son says I live in a zoo. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

You're killing me with all these great pics!  I love the one with the fish and the birdie, and the one with two birdies on the side.

We have two birdbaths but only one is going right now.    I love the birdies so much.   I take thousands of pictures a year of the birdies in my yard.   I have a station on my back deck, on top of the hot tub, with water bowls and food for them.

They are just so cute!  

@chickenbutt

Is Tarz like "Hey!  What about cute birdie ME?".  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

European Goldfinch's indoor bath ritual w/ their hoomin's help  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have a large concrete birdbath in my pool garden. I clean and fill it daily. Flowers and plants all around it Love watching the birds take baths.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

twopeas wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Twopeas - What a cute baby you have!  I love him.   We also have a house bird.    They are just so funny sometimes.

@chickenbutt I don't know if you read my blog last year about "my" birdie, but he landed in a tree in our backyard. He was so tame he came to me and I hurried and bought a cage, etc. I tried for six months to find his owner and then thought I would re-home him with someone who had other cockatiels. Well.....that lasted three days. I cried my eyes out and my dh finally said "GO GET THE BIRD". Sob...o.....kay....When I called to check on him I could hear him calling for me and that did it. He's very social and very attached to me. So....we have a bird. My oldest son says I live in a zoo. LOL

Oh my goodness, that's the best story ever.  Having a dreadful morning and thank you for the smile (well, I'm almost there - somewhere between smiling and crying. hehe).

Anyway, I'm so happy you got him back.   Ours was sort of a rescue story.  I always wanted birds but am against taking them out of their environment and importing them, so I never had one.

But this guy had  been acquired by somebody I know who seemed to always be into collecting pets and then they run their course with her.  Well, this guy got stashed back in an unusued room after they had a human kid and that was that.  Anyway, long story kinda short, she offered him to us.  I did 2 weeks of research so I'd know everything to do to care for him.  He bonded with me immediately, so that was good.

That was like 14 years ago.  He will be 20 in October.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Oh my goodness, that's the best story ever.  Having a dreadful morning and thank you for the smile (well, I'm almost there - somewhere between smiling and crying. hehe).

Anyway, I'm so happy you got him back.   Ours was sort of a rescue story.  I always wanted birds but am against taking them out of their environment and importing them, so I never had one.

But this guy had  been acquired by somebody I know who seemed to always be into collecting pets and then they run their course with her.  Well, this guy got stashed back in an unusued room after they had a human kid and that was that.  Anyway, long story kinda short, she offered him to us.  I did 2 weeks of research so I'd know everything to do to care for him.  He bonded with me immediately, so that was good.

That was like 14 years ago.  He will be 20 in October.

@chickenbutt Oh, chickenbutt, you are an angel. I hear so many stories of people doing just what your friend did. They tire of the poor birds, then either turn them loose outside (grrr) or stuff them in a back room. My daughter took in four birds that people had done that to. Thank you so much for taking the bird and giving it a loving home. They truly are social and can have serious mental anxieties if left alone. HeartHeartHeart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Yup, she was a pet collector - dogs, cats, birds - several of each that I know from when I was in contact with her.   It was always like a quick thrill thing and then it wore thin when they became inconvenient.

I feel bad for our boy.  She actually had him for over 5 years and I think that she he got cast off he got a bit of separation anxiety.  He's very sweet, though.  He's a Solomon Island Eclectus boy.

Honored Contributor

We have 3 birdbaths in our yard two in the front and one in the backyard.  One is located outside our office window and I love to see so many birds come drink or bathe all day long!  The squirrels come to take a drink sometimes, but I try to run them off when I see them, they are so destructive around my house, and run the birds off!