Valued Contributor

Re: 🛁 🐦 Birdbaths: Yay or Nay? 🐦 🛁

During the hot summer he washes and fills daily. The birds seem to wait because as soon as he is done they have their pecking order and line up.

Honored Contributor

I have this one in my backyard. I wash it and fill it with clean water every day. In the winter, I have a heater in it to keep the water from freezing.  I see all kinds of birds splashing and/or drinking from it. 

Yes, chickadees are my favorite birds. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

Birdbaths are a real plus if you like bird visitors. We have two cement birdbaths - one on either corner of our patio. We change the water every day or every other day to freshen the bath and keep mosquito eggs from hatching. I try to plant hummingbird-friendly  perennials next to the baths too. The robins are a riot! After a few robins take their baths, we know we are going to have to refill the bath. As one other person said, you don't need a real birdbath to help out the birds. They will appreciate any container they can splash in and drink from. The squirrels and bees appreciate it too!

Honored Contributor

Yes.......birdbath in backyard.   Also a large 12" saucer in the front yard for any thirsty critters that may wander by.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Twopeas - What a cute baby you have!  I love him.   We also have a house bird.    They are just so funny sometimes.

Esteemed Contributor

I love birdbaths! I have a large fountain in my backyard that the birds enjoy - the bluejays are there 2-3 times a day splashing around along with cardinals, doves and other assorted small birds.

We have even had a Hawk sitting on the umbrella portion. A coyote and a fox have even stopped by for a drink!

Then I have a smaller birdbath that is in my side garden. 

Respected Contributor

@dmod nj, that is the same one we have in our backyard.  We store ours in the garden shed through the Winter, though. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I had this one for a couple of years and killed it with a snowblower, lol.

Image result for cat birdbath

Now, the one I have is taller and bigger and less cute.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

Growing up, we had birdbaths.  The birds would come and splash around, and my cats would be entertained through the windows for hours.  I did not enjoy the maintenance and cleaning of them, however, and with cold temperatures in the winters, they usually needed to be replaced after a short time.  I also did not like the bugs.   My brothers did not appreciate the weight of them when they had to move them (or trim around) while mowing.  

I don't have any room for one now, but I found some "inspriring" ones.

Birdbath from recycled materials By Susan Scovil, Portland, OR mailto:baubleville@yahoo.com

Upcycled lamp parts-

Lamp base, light cover birdbath.

A birdbath invites friends to this lovely garden - Traditional Home® / Photo: Peter Krumhardt / Garden design: Liz & Peggy Olsen

How to Make a Birdbath http://www.diyinspired.com/how-to-make-a-birdbath/

How do you feel about birdbaths?

@lolakimono  I have ten, different sizes, for large and some for small birds.  I have a large ceramic dog water dish that tons of birds bathe in, standing in line to wait their turn, a few squabbles amongst the kids, lol, so much fun to watch.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I had this one for a couple of years and killed it with a snowblower, lol.

Image result for cat birdbath

Now, the one I have is taller and bigger and less cute.

@Bird mama  This is wonderful, lol, wish I had one like it. Smiley Happy