Trusted Contributor

Re: 🛁 🐦 Birdbaths: Yay or Nay? 🐦 🛁

We have a larger one that your photos.  It's in a mostly shady spot under some Rose of Sharon and we planted hostas around the base.  The birds seem to enjoy it and in the early evenings there are the different kinds of birds coming in one kind after another.  In other words, the cardinals will not come in at the same time as the small blackbirdes (wrens?).  My husband loves to watch and is very entertained by one kind in particular that really seems to swim and splash around.

Super Contributor

I have a birdbath near my feeder in the back yard.  I change the water 4 times daily.  There are always birds in the water splashing around or drinking.  Its been so hot in Phoenix, the water gets pretty warm in a few hours.   Thats why I change it so much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Birdies taking baths is the best thing ever!  I love when they get spikey hair on their little heads.   

Here, it's kind of odd (to me, anyway) that they really don't seem to take baths when the weather is hot.  But it can be 40 degrees out there and they are bathing.

Here's one of my fav pics,  I took this one a couple years ago.   Yup, the birdies also like to take baths in the water bowls.  

medium.jpg

Trusted Contributor

We moved from the city to the 'burbs 45 years ago.  My first purchase for my garden was a cement birdbath.  Still have the same birdbath all these years later.  I clean it daily and fill it at least 2x a day - it depends on how splashy the birds are.  The robins are the ones who splash the most and they often like to just sit in the middle and lounge between splashes.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono - Like you, I grew up with one in the backyard. It was heavy and ceramic. After the first one fell over and broke, my dad put a cement base in! The top still came off, but I don't remember them having any problems. It was painted black with an aqua interior. Our birdies loved it. (My dad was into purple martins and had a tall house next to the birdbath.) It was still in great shape when I sold their house. The new owners got rid of it, along with my mom's beautiful rose garden. In fact they got rid of all of the trees and shrubs. I guess they didn't want to be bothered. 

We have a small one in the backyard. It has some kind of device on it that lets it defrost in the winter. DH set it up and keeps it filled. I don't pay much attention except for watching them, along with the kitties - DH takes care of ALL creatures great and small! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I love birds!Heart Several years ago my state was having a severe drought and people were on water-rationing for lawns and trees. The poor birds were suffering terribly. I felt so bad for them. Although I did not own a birdbath at that time, I took out one of my deep serving trays and filled it with water every morning. In no time at all many birds flocked to my yard to indulge in my makeshift birdbath.Woman Very Happy I was beyond words and full of joy for the birds everyday during that awful drought.

Respected Contributor

We have two, one in the front and the other in the back.  Both are placed so that we can enjoy the view from inside.  DH and I thoroughly appreciate the wide variety of wildlife in our area.  It's just one of the many benefits of leaving the city. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Essential Garden Red Glazed Pot Fountain@silkyk  This one is beautiful.  We almost bought it in fact, but running the electric to the spot we had in mind would have been a hassle.  As old retired folks, we now avoid hassles when and wherever possible. Woman LOL

Enjoy yours! 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I love birdbaths.  There are so many interesting and beautiful ones to choose from these days.  My daughter bought me one for Mother's Day and I could't be happier.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt Speaking of spikey hair, my cockatiel that "found me" a year ago loves baths. He's goofy about them.

I also have a bird bath by my feeder and keep it filled. The birds are so cute the way they splash around.

This is buddy after his last bath a few days ago.

0617171103a.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein