Honored Contributor

Re: 🛁 🐦 Birdbaths: Yay or Nay? 🐦 🛁

[ Edited ]

twopeas wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

twopeas wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Twopeas - What a cute baby you have!  I love him.   We also have a house bird.    They are just so funny sometimes.

@chickenbutt I don't know if you read my blog last year about "my" birdie, but he landed in a tree in our backyard. He was so tame he came to me and I hurried and bought a cage, etc. I tried for six months to find his owner and then thought I would re-home him with someone who had other cockatiels. Well.....that lasted three days. I cried my eyes out and my dh finally said "GO GET THE BIRD". Sob...o.....kay....When I called to check on him I could hear him calling for me and that did it. He's very social and very attached to me. So....we have a bird. My oldest son says I live in a zoo. LOL

Oh my goodness, that's the best story ever.  Having a dreadful morning and thank you for the smile (well, I'm almost there - somewhere between smiling and crying. hehe).

Anyway, I'm so happy you got him back.   Ours was sort of a rescue story.  I always wanted birds but am against taking them out of their environment and importing them, so I never had one.

But this guy had  been acquired by somebody I know who seemed to always be into collecting pets and then they run their course with her.  Well, this guy got stashed back in an unusued room after they had a human kid and that was that.  Anyway, long story kinda short, she offered him to us.  I did 2 weeks of research so I'd know everything to do to care for him.  He bonded with me immediately, so that was good.

That was like 14 years ago.  He will be 20 in October.

@chickenbutt Oh, chickenbutt, you are an angel. I hear so many stories of people doing just what your friend did. They tire of the poor birds, then either turn them loose outside (grrr) or stuff them in a back room. My daughter took in four birds that people had done that to. Thank you so much for taking the bird and giving it a loving home. They truly are social and can have serious mental anxieties if left alone. HeartHeartHeart

Aww, I'm no angel.   I had met him numerous times when I went to their house.  He seemed so nice and ignored, even back when he was in the living room, so I would go over and talk to him.

The day we went to their house to take him home with us he came right to me and it was an instant bond.  Or maybe he was just glad to have some attention.  So, we brought him back and the guys loaded his stuff (cage, bowls, etc) into their vehicle and we brought him home.

He's not so bonded with my husband but they have their little, non-contact, conversations.  Smiley Happy  It's kind of cute.

He's smart and sweet.   He gets tummy kisses from mommy (that's me) every day.  I don't know how much he likes that, but he is totally tolerant.  Plus he gives me kisses.  If you say 'I love you' he also gives kisses.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt Oh, my gosh, I have tears in my eyes. How adorable are you with your precious birdie? We have friends that own a parrot and the Mr. told me that birds usually bond with one person. You, in your case, and me, in my case. Buddy is curious, more than anything, about my dh and seems excited when he comes home, but he never talks to him. He only talks to me. And talks and talks and talks. He says "Hi, Sweetie" when I uncover him in the am and when I come home, plus gives kisses. The beak one (Lol) and the kissing sounds. They really are a lot of fun. Buddy also loves dogs, so I think he used to live with a dog. Good thing, because we have two here. Our cat takes no interest in him at all; however, if the bird were flying about, I'm sure it would be a much different story. Bless you, @chickenbutt.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I have 3, it's so hot here in South Texas 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

We have 2 birdbaths in the backyard area. One is a shallow concrete on on a pedestal that was purchased 5 years ago. The other is a plastic saucer that goes under a container for planting & is about 14" in diameter. It's about 2.5" deep & is set on a flat tree stump. I clean & fill them daily, sometimes twice a day in humid weather. The birds love both of them. I scrub them out daily with a short handled brush from the dollar store. Like to keep the birds healthy & happy.

Honored Contributor

They are indeed necessary for birds, they need water. 

We do not have one anymore, because we have a pond right next to the house....one great big bird bath. 

My mom lives next door, and has feeders and a bird bath as well. She is very good about keeping if clean and filled, especially during very hot weather. She gets a lot of joy watching the birds come to the bath and the feeders.