Honored Contributor

🛁 🐦 Birdbaths: Yay or Nay? 🐦 🛁

Growing up, we had birdbaths.  The birds would come and splash around, and my cats would be entertained through the windows for hours.  I did not enjoy the maintenance and cleaning of them, however, and with cold temperatures in the winters, they usually needed to be replaced after a short time.  I also did not like the bugs.   My brothers did not appreciate the weight of them when they had to move them (or trim around) while mowing.  

I don't have any room for one now, but I found some "inspriring" ones.

Birdbath from recycled materials By Susan Scovil, Portland, OR mailto:baubleville@yahoo.com

Upcycled lamp parts-

Lamp base, light cover birdbath.

A birdbath invites friends to this lovely garden - Traditional Home® / Photo: Peter Krumhardt / Garden design: Liz & Peggy Olsen

How to Make a Birdbath http://www.diyinspired.com/how-to-make-a-birdbath/

How do you feel about birdbaths?

Honored Contributor

Re: 🛁 🐦 Birdbaths: Yay or Nay? 🐦 🛁

@lolakimono

Funny you should ask.  I've had a large one in my yard, under my pistache, for years but haven't been consistent about maintaining a daily source of water for my birds.  This week, however, has been hot so, after I fill the feeders, I fill the bath.

I'm going to try to keep it filled this summer.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Yay! Got this one last year from Kmart and the Hummingbirds love it (the red color attracts them). I even get a few crows dropping in for a cool drink and it's way funny to watch them try and fit their big ole crow booties in it to grab a quick bath. 

Essential Garden Red Glazed Pot Fountain

Honored Contributor

I have two birdbaths in my backyard and cleaning, refilling and moving them (for mowing) is a small price to pay for all the enjoyment I get out of watching all the wildlife we have.  We have three double shepherd hook feeders, too, and just this morning I've had cardinals, bluebirds, grosbeaks, goldfinches, sparrows, woodpeckers...the list is endless.

I even had a beautiful brown hare just under my patio window.  Got a very short video clip of him before he raced off into deeper grass.

I moved back to the country just for this and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, yes.  Necessary in any garden.  All creatures need water.🦋

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.vVCE3rP4vx7nMy88fJwlqQEsC9&w=300&h=189&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7

An absolute YES on birdbaths.  We have four large ones that I clean and fill often. They are used a lot for drinking and bathing.  We also have several small (sit on the ground) baths for other creatures (i.e., squirrels, rabbits, etc.)  Love feeding the birds year round.  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

In the hottest months, I will spray water onto the leaves of nearby trees and birds will come to sip the water off of the leaves.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy them in other people's yards.  Around here they are mosquito magnets.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have a bird bath set near the feeder, and I do not know if we have peculiar birds or what, but I have never seen a bird bathe or drink out of ours, I maintain fresh water maintain cleanliness and nothing, does anyone have any ideas?

Honored Contributor

You're killing me with all these great pics!  I love the one with the fish and the birdie, and the one with two birdies on the side.

We have two birdbaths but only one is going right now.    I love the birdies so much.   I take thousands of pictures a year of the birdies in my yard.   I have a station on my back deck, on top of the hot tub, with water bowls and food for them.

They are just so cute!