Esteemed Contributor

Re: Big paint color disaster

¨Agreeable Gray¨ seems to be the most popular gray color now. We flip houses and I always get a sample of the paint and try it first. This one is by Behr and a few others.

Most people here seems to to talking about the color gray from years ago. A lot of the paints now seem to have a tint of gray. The inspector who came by to inspect the property was impressed with Agreeable Gray. I like it and I am hard to please.

Valued Contributor

Just painted gray in a room to coordinate adjoining rooms painted 2 years ago (also same gray color). I'm in LOVE! The most recent room painted was previously a medium beige I hated.

I was risky & didn't do samples on the wall previously, but knowing I love the rooms painted 2 years ago is confirmation enough! I don't know the exact color, but it's Behr from Home Depot. Medium gray with a blue undertone. White trim. Original hardwood floors recently restored in my mid century home.

Paint color can be controversial, but everyone needs to pick what they love-after all you have to stare at it every day!
Respected Contributor

We ordered a new carpet for our stairs today. We brought home samples and put them in the foyer where the stairs are. Gray isn't for us. We picked a tan scroll. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, I hate picking paint colors. I fail miserably sometimes, so much so that I do 'white' quite often just to avoid the disaster. 

I always do my own painting and I hate the process, every little bit of it. But my worst experience was when I bought my first house. It was a gem of a home. Little, but brick (my favorite), great old wood work, beautiful features. The bathroom had the most beautiful window in it, and I needed to paint the room. I was looking for a very soft yellow and 'thought' I got it right, painted the room and hated it! It was like almost neon, and you didn't need any light on in the middle of the night to use the room if the moon was shining! lol

I used to never get the samples and actually paint them on the wall, but when we did our kitchen remodel in 2019, I decided it was worth the time and money to try the samples, and I bought like five of them. It allowed me to get the colors right on the walls, see how they looked in daylight, night time etc, and  to get it right that time, and I've loved the results so much. Don't think I'll ever paint again without several samples to get the color just right.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@HonestLife lol.  I'm sorry I wasn't around to talk you out of the gray.  I hate it!  It so institutional and reminds me of prison walls.  The eye clinic I go to has a new building with gray walls and driftwood gray vinyl plank floors... awful.  I see kitchens in new homes with gray cabinets, floors and darker gray backsplashes.  I just hope it passes soon as it has already been around too long. 

I guess every homeowner has made at least one paint boo-boo.  Mine was a violent coral bedroom. 

@Kachina624 

I love CoralWoman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

We love the Agreeable Gray, it is very warm and lovely. Goes so nicely with most any color palette, glad we chose this color.🌻😄

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@greamy wrote:

We love the Agreeable Gray, it is very warm and lovely. Goes so nicely with most any color palette, glad we chose this color.🌻😄

@greamy  it has become my favorite color. White kitchen cabinets makes it a hit.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2   I thought I did too until I encountered Atomic Coral. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I watch a lot of DIY shows and learned the best tip----get a few paint solor strips from the store and tape them to the wall. Check how they look in different times of the day/night etc. This saves a lot of regrets when you paint walls, etc. 

Most of us have made that mistake. Have you considered just repainting the smaller rooms like tghe hallway and the powder room? This might make a difference and save you from repainting the larger rooms? Sometimes it's just too much of the same color. 

Good Luck. 

@Fressa  I have purchased several samples and painted a 12" x 12" area on each wall. That is truly the only way you will know which one it will be. 

Valued Contributor

@50Mickey I remember the post you are talking about regarding gray looking lavender in certain lighting. Coincidentally, around that time, my son painted his bedroom SW Sea Salt which in this room looked totally lavender. Needless to say he repainted ASAP.