Honored Contributor

Re: Best place to purchase lampshades.

Site are Pottery Barn.  Awesome quality.  

Personally, I'd go to a private lamp shop with the lamp.  They'll help you with shades and they have catalogs!  The more narrow the top of the shade, the more light that comes down.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I donated some old lamps when I moved to a new house and at that time a friend was having her whole house repainted different colors and gave them to me bc they match my new home's wall colors perfectly.  However, two of the lamps need updated shades.  I'll have to try Lowe's - never thought to look there.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I ordered from Lamps Plus I had measured the shades I was replacing 3 ways, the opening across the top, the opening across the bottom and the height of it. So if you decide to order on-line or go to a store have those measurements with you so you can get the same or as close as possible. In my case one was for a floor lamp and one was for a lamp too big to drag with me for trying on for size so on-line worked better for me. I had checked our local Lowe's and they had a good selection but nothing close enough to my size measurements.

OMG I don't know how I forgot to mention this! Especially because it was only a few days ago I did this. Old age no doubt. Anyway, over the weekend I actually washed 2 lampshades, the 2 that I had replaced but hung onto. The 2 washed are a fabric of some sort and it's all gathered fabric with a solid sort of trim fabric around the top and bottom openings. I filled my kitchen sink halfway w/lukewarm water and some Mr. Clean. Took a soft brush and just kept going up and down the fabric gently a few times.( First I did one just to make sure they wouldn't fall apart). I rinsed them thoroughly under a gentle slow flow of water. For drying I had placed them outside in the sun on a rack, one was on the rack that sits in the bottom of my sink with the little short legs on it and I had another rack, the kind you'd sit a cookie sheet on to cool the cookies so the trim on the bottom would get sun & air and dry too rather than sitting them on a towel or cloth. They came out fine, they don't look as bright as when they were new but certainly got clean enough and lightened up enough that I'm saving them if I want to use them again.

Respected Contributor

I am going to jump in and suggest Wal Mart.  I've had great luck on line with lampshades and unbelievably affordable.  Lowes is my second choice, but a bit pricey for me.  The shades from Wal Mart I purchased are the classic off white pleated shades and they are lovely.  I replaced all my lampshades with them and so far, they are holding up well and were just what I was looking for.