Honored Contributor

Re: Best place to Buy Furniture?

Where I live there is only one big box furniture store...Art Van. It has always had the UGLIEST furniture! Not my style at all!. But thankfully there is a privately owned small furniture store in a town nearby that I have bought almost everything for my home from! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

barb400  ... haven't purchased new furniture in years.  But Ethan Allen has really good quality furniture.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My favorite furniture stores are Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn, but I too am all over the place in where I shop.  I seldom buy furniture on line without seeing it in the store first.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my area we have Levin Furniture, got a few pieces there.  Arhus furniture is wonderful here for sofas and recliners. Got a mattress at Macy’s. Have no complaints with any of these companies. 

Esteemed Contributor

i do a lot of searching on line at the large chain stores or big box stores just to see what's out there and get an idea of pricing. Nine times out of ten I prefer to purchase at a smaller furniture store that only has a few locations. I find that they have more unique items or give you more choices of fabric, etc. Delievery seems to be easy and I've not experienced the hassel or expense as with the large stores. My favorite store to find furniture or the accent pieces is Pier 1. Items are made well, packaged very well and competitive price wise.    

Honored Contributor
  1. Local furniture store
  2. Had family antiques stripped and refinished
Honored Contributor

I don't buy furniture to last years & years anymore because it doesn't!

For our family room I bought a full leather couch & loveseat at our local Natuzzi leather showroom.  This room is where most gather.  It's still as nice as the day it was delivered.

I bought "leather where you sit" furniture set for my LR at Kane's. It's not great quality but serves the purpose for now.  The room is barely used.  

I have also also picked up many nice pieces at consignment shops, estate sales in our community & locally.  I always say the people who buy homes and retire in our community usually buy the best because this is the final home😉.  Some things are barely used (or sat on).

Valued Contributor

I've purchased furniture online from Pottery barn several times. I ordered fabric swatches  before ordering to make sure I the colors worked for me. 

I have also purchased rugs online. I bought two rugs from Wayfair and found the quality good. I've also purchased rugs from Pottery Barn online and haven't had any regrets.  The key thing for me is making sure that I pay attention to measurements. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My furniture is from several places.

Bedroom - chest of drawers and nightstand, lamps - Pottery Barn

Bed - Crate and Barrel

Rug in front of dresser - Pottery Barn

Living Room - sofa IKEA

Chair & cocktail table and side table - Room & Board

desk - Pier One & chair - Room & Board

side table - from my mother

Lamps - Pottery Barn

Rug 5x7 - Limm

Other rug - Pottery Barn

Dining area - Table - Crate & Barrel outlet

Dining chairs - City (no longer in business)

Here's a tip.  Pottery Barn displays furniture in their stores.  Twice a year they have a sale on most of the furniture at a 40% or more discount.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I like to change things up, so I don't want to invest too much money in pieces.

I've had a lot of success getting pieces at Marshalls.  

My niece will be moving into an apartment this year, so I plan to give her a few of my things and buy something else.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN