Honored Contributor

Re: Best place to Buy Furniture?

[ Edited ]

@barb40 

Another vote here for Macy's, too, especially for your "main" furniture.  I think the quality and style have been good, at least during the years I was shopping for furniture.

I still ADORE my Henredon dining set purchased in the 70s from Macys.  I fell in love the minute I turned the corner in that store and saw it for the first time.  That feeling remains.  Thank you, Macy's.

I've purchased a small chest or two online from places like Ballard's or even Improvements (sadly, Improvements is just about gone), but you can find similar pieces in many places like Wayfair or amazon.  And if you like wandering in antique stores, you can probably find some interesting pieces there, too.

ETA:  Speaking of Ballard's, I just got an email for 30% off and free shipping but ending in six hours.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I'm not into buying furniture online from places like Wayfair. I don't trust the quality.

Upholstered furniture especially needs to be seen and sat on to feel the comfort and see the level of quality, for me. 

I tend to buy from local (some not so small) furniture stores. Most of what is found in big box stores, and chain furniture stores is not top quality. I tend to keep wood pieces for a lifetime, and upholstered pieces for at least 20 years, so I pay high prices and want exceptional quality for most things. 

I think if you are someone that likes to change their furniture frequently, buying lesser quality is probably not a wrong choice. 

I will say that there are things in my home though, from a variety of sources. Some are family pieces handed down, some are from years of thrifting/flea marketing/antiquing, some are from very expensive stores or Amish made, some like my tv cabinet in the family room are actually from big box stores like Sam's Club.

Respected Contributor

I buy furniture from local stores and furniture companies. If I am purchasing a sofa or expensive piece, I consider only local companies.

If purchasing an inexpensive (relatively so) piece, I check out places like HomeGoods or At Home. I have found some really nice pieces at Wayfair in the last couple of years and have been impressed with the quality.

I keep my furniture for longer periods of time than most of my friends; I become almost attached to some of it. (laughing at myself)

My husband has a fair amount of antiques but I can't say I care for most of them. He uses an antique secretary in his study but the others are stored.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I bought my leather sofa from Macy's.  I'm pleased with it. 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

We purchased two bedroom sets from Haverty's.  A set for daughter and a queen bed with two side table for extra bedroom.  I got a very large farm table that was a customized order from a shop that was Amish furniture.  You got to pick style of table and chair, color of stain and type of wood.   Dining room table with hutch and 3 tables and a desk type table and master bedroom is Thomasville.  Sofas are Lazy Boy.

Valued Contributor

Awesome replies, thanks for all the information! 

I just remembered,  my mom once bought 2 wingback chairs at a church yard sale, for $10 each...had them re-covered.   

I had a friend that went to North Carolina to get wholesale furniture, many years ago.  

I'm too leary  to order something large on-line...I want to sit on it and touch it, and I also don't want to return a large item if it doesn't work out.

I do like HomeGoods, and T.J. Maxx, have also purchased at Pier One.  World Market has cool things.  I also liked Bombay Company...no longer in business.  

Esteemed Contributor

I buy quality. I found an Amish builder for case goods and I'm thrilled. I started with my own bedroom pieces and this year added the king bed.

I ordered a bureau from him for my guest bedroom. Completely custom, one of a kind. Growing up my Gram had a bureau with her mirrored tray and perfume bottles that smelled heavenly.

I've been looking at RH sofas online. Tough to find reviews but some say it's all MIC so that's a pass for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My all time favorite furniture company is Bramble.  I order  through boutiques.  Most of which is displayed for me to view.

The furniture is well made, they use eco friendly water based paints and finishes, they plant trees to replace the ones used.

My homes are filled with beautiful pieces from this company.  Unique ---lots of compliments. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just redid my bedroom.  Kept some furniture.  New bed from Saatva.  Headboard and side table from Wayfair.  Lamps from Lamps Plus.

Living room lamps and mirror from Uttermost.  Furniture from a variety of online companies.  Most recent rug from Wayfair.  Kept huge Ethan Allan wall unit purchased in early 1990's.  

Kitchen chairs from Pottery Barn.  Had table made back in the 1980's.  Kept that.

Dining room chairs also purchased from an online company.  Sent them my fabric.

Have had excellent results from doing nearly all my shopping online. 

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Just redid my bedroom.  Kept some furniture.  New bed from Saatva.  Headboard and side table from Wayfair.  Lamps from Lamps Plus.

Living room lamps and mirror from Uttermost.  Furniture from a variety of online companies.  Most recent rug from Wayfair.  Kept huge Ethan Allan wall unit purchased in early 1990's.  

Kitchen chairs from Pottery Barn.  Had table made back in the 1980's.  Kept that.

Dining room chairs also purchased from an online company.  Sent them my fabric.

Have had excellent results from doing nearly all my shopping online. 

@Jaspersmom 

Saatva--very good choice, have 7 mattresses from them!