Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best method for cleaning wood laminate flooring?

Bono. My kitchen floor 14 years old still shines. Have laminated throughout house, BONO with the pads and handle mop that came in my kit, from BB&Y.
Esteemed Contributor

I have a lot of the laminate flooring in our house and I use the Don Astlett microfiber dusting mop. You can use this dry, damp or wet.(depending on your needs) My seams are sealed so I use my Hahn floor steamer on the high traffic areas and it works great. I used the Swifter for years before I found the Don Astlett line. I have dogs and a lot of floor space so it seemed like I was going thru those swifter refills like crazy. I love the Don Astlett products because they WORK, last a long time, save me $$$ and my floors look great in a short time. What a difference it makes to have the proper floor surface and the proper cleaning tools for the job.

Honored Contributor

I use dry Swiffers to pick up dust and hair, and use vinegar and water for damp mopping. The care instructions with our flooring said no steam cleaning, and our floor guy specifically said no wet Swiffers on laminate.
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 snickster said:
On 12/28/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:
On 12/28/2014 LonestarBabs said:

I use Bona's floor cleaning system. We have the kind of laminate that is not shiny and Bona works very well. I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Another vote for Bona.....

Thanks for your response, seems to be several who like Bona.

I actually thought there would be more info on the info sheet that came with the flooring on cleaning it, but there was nothing.

Make sure you smell the Bona before buying it. I bought it but didn't like the smell so I couldn't use it. I just use the Swiffer Wet Jet. I use to use the Wilsonart cleaner. My floors are Wilsonart and I bought it when I bought the floors. I liked it a lot. I know Pergo makes a floor cleaner, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Just contact the manufacturer of your flooring and ask them how to care for it.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Macy said:

Bona dulled my floor. I now use a combination of apple cider vinegar and water with 2 drops of mineral oil and use a microfiber mop to buff on. Never let any product get your floor to wet or dry on its own., It will dull it. Always buff the floor until shiny. And I have cats, this combo is safe for them to walk on if they should get a bit on their toes.

Really? Do you mind telling me what ratio of vinegar & water? Thanks for your response.

half and half so if I make a cup it's 4 oz water and 4 oz vinegar. Bona completely dulled my floor. I finally went online and watched some youtube videos from flooring experts who explained why all these commercial cleaners can ruin your floor. I completely removed all the buildup from the Bona using a small handheld buffer (you would not believe how many times I had to use another terry cloth pad because they got so dirty from all the buildup. Then when I got everything off, I damp mopped it first, then used my solution and mopped again and buffed it back to a shine. It has been shiny ever since. The flooring experts say that all laminate flooring comes with a sealer of sorts and that any of the so-called floor cleaners removes that and it becomes dull. So for me, this works.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 castlenv said:

I have wood laminate flooring in my kitchen and for the past 4 years have used a Bissell steam cleaner. Does the job very well.

They told me at the flooring store no steam because it would cause the layers of laminated material to separate. They recommended either a don aslett type mop wrung as dry as possible or a swiffer. Since mine will be brand new I want to be very careful how it is cleaned.My housekeeper said vinegar water with the don aslett mop wrung very dry as well.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone who responded. I did go to the mfg's website, before I asked here on this forum; there it says to only use cleaner specifically for hardwood/laminate (several brands are on the market-I was hoping not to have to buy a specific product, lol), or just a slightly damp microfiber cloth. They mentioned no vinegar, chemicals, steamers (seams on mine are not sealed, so that one was out anyway), basically everything mentioned on this thread. Guess I will try just slightly damp microfiber cloth first just to see how clean that actually gets my floor and go from there. I really do appreciate all of your experiences and your time in replying.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Macy said:
On 12/28/2014 Macy said:

Bona dulled my floor. I now use a combination of apple cider vinegar and water with 2 drops of mineral oil and use a microfiber mop to buff on. Never let any product get your floor to wet or dry on its own., It will dull it. Always buff the floor until shiny. And I have cats, this combo is safe for them to walk on if they should get a bit on their toes.

Really? Do you mind telling me what ratio of vinegar & water? Thanks for your response.

half and half so if I make a cup it's 4 oz water and 4 oz vinegar. Bona completely dulled my floor. I finally went online and watched some youtube videos from flooring experts who explained why all these commercial cleaners can ruin your floor. I completely removed all the buildup from the Bona using a small handheld buffer (you would not believe how many times I had to use another terry cloth pad because they got so dirty from all the buildup. Then when I got everything off, I damp mopped it first, then used my solution and mopped again and buffed it back to a shine. It has been shiny ever since. The flooring experts say that all laminate flooring comes with a sealer of sorts and that any of the so-called floor cleaners removes that and it becomes dull. So for me, this works.

OMG - I use a cup of vinegar to a bucket of water to clean my tile floors - no where near a 1:1 ratio. I would not use that strong an acid solution on my laminate floors, or any other surface either.

Honored Contributor

I have always used warm water and a teeny bit of dishwashing soap on all of my hardwood floors. The company that just installed the hardwood in my new kitchen recommended Bona, but my way has always worked.