Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best method for cleaning wood laminate flooring?

On 12/28/2014 ID2 said:

Just contact the manufacturer of your flooring and ask them how to care for it.

The best idea - when I got my laminate flooring 10 years ago they said not to use steam cleaners! Maybe they've 'upped' the manufacturing of laminate floors, I use Clorox Ready Mop.

Honored Contributor

I use Bona, but one word of warning. This company makes a spray for real wood, and one for laminate. Be sure and buy the laminate. I like using it.
Trusted Contributor

On 12/28/2014 happy housewife said:
On 12/28/2014 Macy said:
On 12/28/2014 snickster said:
On 12/28/2014 Macy said:

Bona dulled my floor. I now use a combination of apple cider vinegar and water with 2 drops of mineral oil and use a microfiber mop to buff on. Never let any product get your floor to wet or dry on its own., It will dull it. Always buff the floor until shiny. And I have cats, this combo is safe for them to walk on if they should get a bit on their toes.

Really? Do you mind telling me what ratio of vinegar & water? Thanks for your response.

half and half so if I make a cup it's 4 oz water and 4 oz vinegar. Bona completely dulled my floor. I finally went online and watched some youtube videos from flooring experts who explained why all these commercial cleaners can ruin your floor. I completely removed all the buildup from the Bona using a small handheld buffer (you would not believe how many times I had to use another terry cloth pad because they got so dirty from all the buildup. Then when I got everything off, I damp mopped it first, then used my solution and mopped again and buffed it back to a shine. It has been shiny ever since. The flooring experts say that all laminate flooring comes with a sealer of sorts and that any of the so-called floor cleaners removes that and it becomes dull. So for me, this works.

OMG - I use a cup of vinegar to a bucket of water to clean my tile floors - no where near a 1:1 ratio. I would not use that strong an acid solution on my laminate floors, or any other surface either.

I don't put it in a bucket and dunk my mop in it. The solution is in a spray bottle so very little other than a fine mist comes out and then I use the microfiber mop to buff it. My floor is barely wet since too much water can ruin it. I would never put a mop in a bucket first since it cannot be wrung out until almost dry.

And BTW, vinegar cleaning solutions are what most organic, natural websites recommend as did my flooring expert who installed it. Baking soda and vinegar is also used to clean my stainless steel sinks and they shine like crazy. My plumber told me never to use the commercial sink cleaners as they gunk up the pipes. My house is immaculate without chemicals.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Super Contributor

I vacuum and then use Bona
Honored Contributor

We had laminate flooring extensively put down in the house we just sold. The manufacturers recommended Bona and gave us a free mop and sample but I wasn't thrilled with the results at all. I started using Rejuvinate at the suggestion of a friend of mine and couldn't believe how well it worked. I used the Spray for Wood/Laminate and it brought up a shine and did not leave streaks (which the Bona did on my floors). I've been using Rejuvinate ever since (the house we have now has engineered wood. Beautiful product, but make sure you read the label and make sure you get the product that is designed for your floor. I've been getting it at Home Depot....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

I have used 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water in a swiffer wet jet on my laminate floors since 2002 and they look as new as the day they were put in !! I sometimes need to do floors 2 times a week if needed and never any problems...