Respected Contributor

Re: Best Vacuum Recommendation to Handle LOTS of Pet Hair?

@Jacie wrote:

@Mz iMac @hoosieroriginal

Any particular models? Styles? Lots of attachments nor no?

@Jacie - One of mine is the lift away - although I have never used it that way.  The other I'm not sure - but it definitely is different from the lift away - I love them both.  I find Target has really great prices on them sometimes.  I think that is where I got both of mine, when they were on sale - I had to get a second because I didn't want to haul one up and down the basement stairs. 

Honored Contributor

I bought a Dyson canister Animal. Was not impressed. It is heavy and clumsy. It is always catching on something and when you pull on it, it ends up on it's side.

So then I bought the Hoover Max pet vacuum. It is the best. I regularly vacuum and think that the floors don't look too bad. Well, after going over the tile and carpet, I am shocked. In fact I have to empty the dirt canister after doing just  the hall way. It picks up so much fur. 

The Hoover is several years old and still works like it is brand new, Was worth every penny. And I am so disappointed in the Dyson. I even tried to give it to my brother because his dog sheds worse than mine and he said "No thanks". It just takes up space.

Honored Contributor

great post! Based on these positive posts for the Shark Rotator I'm heading to get one!

I just hope its not to heavy - I have been spoiled by my ORECK lightweight (from Q 4 years old) but it bit the dust.  

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Shark Rotator.  Get the one with the Pet Power Brush.  I'm just now needing to buy another one.  Had a 5 year warranty one, and it is 6+ years old.  Still sucks up anything.  It's my hoses that are finally starting to split.  Getting closest to the same model again.  It's been used most every day.  GREAT VACUUM!

2 very hairy dogs, 1 cat, and one parrot who makes tons of messes.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

I've had Dysons since they hit the market and swear by them.  With the first one I had a long haired cat and a dog.  My first dyson is in the basement now still going strong and Ive  upgraded to the animal version since I have 3 cats now.  Dyson's customer Service is superior.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just bought the new Bissell Pet Hair Eraser vacuum. It works GREAT on getting pet hair & dirt that's embedded in the carpet. And the pet hair doesn't get caught in the roller.

I have lots of pets in the house, & vacuum daily. I couldn't believe how much this Bissell picked up the first time I used it. I'd just vacuumed the day before with my old Oreck. When I used the Bissell, & had to empty the canister 4 times, & this was only on the first floor of my house.

I also like that you can turn the roller brush off when doing the tile floors- that way the cat litter doesn't go flying around.

I see there are complaints about the hand attachments not being very powerful. I haven't even tried them because my Oreck canister is really good, so I still use it.

I was going to buy a Dyson. But recently I was in a  vacuum repair place & asked the Mr. Fixit guy there about buying that brand. He said DON'T....it's consistently they're #1 repair. He said on any given day, they fix Dyson more than any other brand.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your input. Smiley Very Happy I happened to be at Target today and picked up a Shark on sale! Saved 40 bucks!

Brought it home and vacuumed like a mad woman! Even though I had thought I had cleaned well 2 days ago, I couldn't believe the hair and dust in that dang canister! Brought up the carpet pile nicely too!

I still have my Simplicity upright, but this Shark will fill in well. I sent my almost 20 year old Phantom Thunder into my husband's shop were he can use it out there for whatever.

I voted to trash it!! So heavy!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Jacie,

I'm happy you got a Shark! I love mine. It's shocking the first time you use it!Woman SurprisedWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

we have a shark rocket and a dog and a cat. it picks up hair very well.   there have been comercials for a bissel vacuum made for people with pets. it even comes with an atachment for vacuuming the pets. check it out on line. and its 250 bucks.if you but it on the bissel web site they include extra atachments and they spred payments over like 4 months like qvc does. good luck on your search.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Jacie,

I'm happy you got a Shark! I love mine. It's shocking the first time you use it!Woman SurprisedWoman Very Happy

@SilleeMee

Yes it WAS shocking, and that's an understatement!!! LOL!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield