Respected Contributor

Re: Best Interior Wall Color Suggestions please

@kivah

I had a house that sounds about like yours and the contractor painted everything in a soft off white like yours.  I did what you were thinking of.  Painted the kitchen yellow, the master bedroom and dining room a light blue with light blue carpet.  Painted one bedroom a soft celadon green with peachy pink drapes, bedspread (loved that small room - if I still had that house I would add a comfy chair and make that room my reading retreat).

Esteemed Contributor

I would also say some sort of white.  It will go with anything anew buyer has. I don’t know what the color was for our family room and kitchen. It was some kind of white. Those two rooms got repainted before we put the house for sale.  Although I like gray I think it would be better to do white. Gray can be a hate or love for some. And some furniture wouldn’t look well with gray.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I would also say some sort of white.  It will go with anything anew buyer has. I don’t know what the color was for our family room and kitchen. It was some kind of white. Those two rooms got repainted before we put the house for sale.  Although I like gray I think it would be better to do white. Gray can be a hate or love for some. And some furniture wouldn’t look well with gray.

Grey paint drains the color from cherry and mahogany wood pieces.  It is best to use warm colors with those pieces even if it is a warm white, the reason I used Mayonnaise.  However, Mayonnaise by Benjamin Moore is much lighter on the walls in my house with high ceilings than it appears on the sample card in the store.  It has 94 LRV (light reflective value) which means it is not optic white but softer.

Contributor

Painted my interior a few years ago with Benjamin Moore's Simply White. It is a soft, slightly warm white and beautiful. Good luck with the sale of your house!

Honored Contributor

I prefer ivory, but it's the same idea.

Respected Contributor

We had benjamin Moore Navaho White and it is a soft creamy white.

After having it for 13 years we decided to go with Benjamin Moore Elmira White which is a soft beige color.  We love them both.  I feel the softer whites go with everything.  I like doing the entire house all the same color.

Good luck with your choice.

Honored Contributor

A creamy white would be perfect when painting to sell your home. How could potential buyers object?
Esteemed Contributor

Check out Ben Moore's "Cloud White".  A friend is a professional  house painter and he told me about it.

It's not overly reflective nor absorbtive of light.  It is not stark and it is an excellent backdrop - it really does seem to "float". 

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Used to be "builders beige" was the standard.

Now it's gray.

Light gray towards ivory on the warm side, or a light gray with a hint of blue undertone on the cool side.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

Grey paint drains the color from cherry and mahogany wood pieces.  It is best to use warm colors with those pieces even if it is a warm white, the reason I used Mayonnaise.  However, Mayonnaise by Benjamin Moore is much lighter on the walls in my house with high ceilings than it appears on the sample card in the store.  It has 94 LRV (light reflective value) which means it is not optic white but softer.

Just moved into a Florida townhome that was rather dark inside. Painted main rooms in Ben Moore’s Mascarpone which is the exact ivory color of the cheese by same name. Friend loved it so much she copied me and repainted great room in Mascarpone. I also considered Mayonnaise, and it was a hard decision because they are very close, both having a slight yellow undertone. Either would work if you have dark woods. My furniture is old, mahogany and cherry, and ivory paint looks fab. BTW, 2 bedrooms are Woodlawn Blue, hubby’s office is Revere Pewter, kitchen has accents of Garden Path — all Ben Moore. I need to have a little color in my life after years of living in a dark northern city!  All my trim is Ben Moore Super White to match my plantation shutters. Good luck choosing paint and selling. You never know what a buyer will like. My SC home sold in one week with yellow walls throughout and wallpaper (a big no no) in kitchen and bathrooms. Buyer from AZ thought it was darling — ya never know!