Esteemed Contributor

Re: Being mindful while cleaning improves mood🏡

I like the idea of creating positive space for myself through mindfulness. Cleaning and meal prep around the holidays are hectic because of limited time. I viewed it as opportunities to listen to audio books - my special time. Amazing how much more pleasant it was to host this year. 

In a restaurant today, I overheard a patron complain about the blustery weather. Our server said after spending time in Afghanistan, he never complains about weather. He had a choice in his attitude. Bravo to Nate, our server.

Now - I need to increase my 'steps' to 15K/day total. I think the only way I'll be able to do this is through Mindfulness.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Current trend......mindfulness

Old School.........Zen

Esoteric..............Gurdjieff/4th Way

Yes, this practice will elevate your life and all activities.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe  This doesn't surprise me.  I completed the MBSR (Mind Body Stress Reduction - Mindfulness on steroids) training through Insight.  If you are on the west coast, I can highly recommend an amazing instructor (she is a medical MD who left her profession to concentrate on Mindfulness training).

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach

Hello, hope you and Kiku are well!  Smiley HappyHeart

I've been practicing Mindfulness for about a year using meditation.

Have not yet evolved to being able to use it with housekeeping, but it has helped me become more aware of the good, interesting, and sometimes amazing things which happen around us all the time.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Drythe  This doesn't surprise me.  I completed the MBSR (Mind Body Stress Reduction - Mindfulness on steroids) training through Insight.  If you are on the west coast, I can highly recommend an amazing instructor (she is a medical MD who left her profession to concentrate on Mindfulness training).

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach

Hello, hope you and Kiku are well!  Smiley HappyHeart

I've been practicing Mindfulness for about a year using meditation.

Have not yet evolved to being able to use it with housekeeping, but it has helped me become more aware of the good, interesting, and sometimes amazing things which happen around us all the time.

@phoenixbrd

Thank you for thinking of me.  I think I'm a bit away from from your level, but I will surely look into the MBSR (Mind Body Stress Reduction - Mindfulness on steroids) training through Insight.  I'm a very poor sleeper, and hope among other things this study and practice will help with that.

I am on the West Coast, about as far away as I can be, not so far from the shore of NC.  I'm not sure such training is available near me, you know how stogy we East Coasters are ...Smiley Happy

I appreciate the thought, and the information.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Drythe  The teacher that I took my training with is Christiane Wolf.  A wonderful way to relax and facilitate sleep is doing a body scan before falling asleep.  I believe she has free body scan meditations for varying minutes online on her website.

Esteemed Contributor

Dusting a house of wood blinds absolutely put one in a trance.  Like a rag doll.  Nice.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe

If you're not already familiar with it, you might want to take a look at the magazine Mindful.  Here's a picture of the current issue:

Image result for mindful magazine

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

To me that's all "buy my book" rubbish.  Rather than "mindfully" cleaning the toilets, I just want to do those menial but necessary things as quickly and efficiently and mindlessly as I can so that I can get on to the things that really positively affect my life.  Even back in my sahm days when we didn't have the conveniences and equipment that we have now; I never made a big deal of housework and chores.  I just got through over those things so that I could get to the things that truly mattered in my life.  The things that matter are the things that enhance my emotional and cognitive welbeing.  But, that's just me.

Respected Contributor

Giggling!

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I was just thinking nothing is more soothing to the soul than coming home frome an exhausting day at work, driving in 0 degree temps for the hour commute and then getting to my housekeeping chores!

Who comes up with this stuff?

Seriously @Snowpuppy... The main mood enhnacer to chores is when they're done!!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...