Honored Contributor

Being mindful while cleaning improves mood🏡

[ Edited ]

Article from Better Homes & Gardens:

Good for Your Mood
There's a reason you feel happier when your house is clean. Here's the science behind how daily chores can make your mind and body healthier.

Few people look forward to household chores like washing dishes, folding laundry, or paying bills. But what if those tasks were beneficial for your to-do list and your wellbeing? As it turns out, daily chores can help you clear your head and feel more peaceful—but having the right mindset is key.

"When we are intentionally doing something in our life in a way that invites ease and peace, it is going to feel different than if we are doing something out of stress or obligation,” says Dr. Ariane Machin, Psychologist. “Taking a mindful approach to what we are doing elicits a ‘calming down’ of our body systems, enhances our oxygen flow, and contributes to us feeling more content.”

What exactly does practicing mindfulness look like? “The key is to train your mind and whole being to be in the moment, without judgment, which can be a great tool for stopping automatic, repetitive and unhelpful thoughts," says Erin Stair, M.D., M.P.H. She exercises mindfulness while she washes the dishes. “I use my five senses to do this, and by that, I mean I ask myself basic questions like: What am I feeling? Seeing? Hearing? Smelling? Tasting? Using the five senses is an easy way to train your mind to connect and 'embrace' the moment.”   

Tackling small, easy chores can also improve your outlook on larger, more stressful tasks. That's because completing a simple task like vacuuming simultaneously distracts your brain from stressful thoughts and rewards it with a sense of accomplishment. “Your brain has a chance to reset itself, so that you can return to engaging activities feeling less stressed,” Jared Heatherman, M.D. says. “When the mind is less stressed, the body follows suit as well with measured decreases in heart rate and blood pressure.”

Ultimately, this means doing your daily chores is not only necessary, but also healthy for your mind and body. The next time you’re faced with dusting, folding laundry, or another chore you'd rather procrastinate on, consider the benefit of giving your mind a rest from everything else and focus only on the task at hand. The more you can find satisfaction in little jobs done well, the better your body and mind will feel.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

Re: Being mindful while cleaning improves mood

I TOTALLY agree with this.

Super Contributor

Re: Being mindful while cleaning improves mood🏡

I also agree. I’ve been reading two books called Romancing the Ordinary and A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sara Ban Breathnatch. They are all about just this. Really enjoy them.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just thinking nothing is more soothing to the soul than coming home frome an exhausting day at work, driving in 0 degree temps for the hour commute and then getting to my housekeeping chores!

Who comes up with this stuff?

Honored Contributor

That's how I was raised and how I raised my  kids.

Chores were not thought of as "chores", if you know what I mean.

And I also taught my kids to live the same way in someone else's house if they spend the night (or more).    Clean the bathroom after you use it (relatively speaking-swipe out the sink & tub if you used it)   Make the bed, tidy up.   Put your dishes in the dishwasher.

"Cleaning" is what you do to make your environment pleasing & satisfying.

We were not born into royalty.   

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Hello, hope you and Kiku are well!  Smiley HappyHeart

I've been practicing Mindfulness for about a year using meditation.

Have not yet evolved to being able to use it with housekeeping, but it has helped me become more aware of the good, interesting, and sometimes amazing things which happen around us all the time.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Hope you all are well, too, @Drythe

Has Ralphie ventured out from under the bed?  And did he get "tutored"?  I forgot the date he was scheduled.  Here's hoping all went very well (or will).

Kiku is naturally mindful.  She fully concentrates (as do all dogs) on the tasks at hand, most of which consist of convincing me I've forgotten her treats yet again!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

What a clever girl, Kiku!

Thank you for asking, I’ll ask Ralphie to write to y’all tonight.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Frau K wrote:

I also agree. I’ve been reading two books called Romancing the Ordinary and A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sara Ban Breathnatch. They are all about just this. Really enjoy them.

======

I should get these books @Frau K.

Honored Contributor

Great wisdom, @GingerPeach.  I like to think of it as a companion to the "there is no job too small, etc".  way of thinking.  I also like the mentality of putting all one's mind, heart and soul into tasks, whatever tasks have been put in our way.

Thanks for such a positive article!