Super Contributor

I have never had great bedding or bath towels and am in the process of replacing everything (mattress pads, sheets, towels, pillows, pillow protecters etc.)

Can anyone recommend some decent brands. I am doing it a room at a time and have four bedrooms and three bathrooms to replace so this is going to be  kind of an expensive project.

I want to buy better quality things but I don't need to buy the top of the line.

Thnx,

Chris

Respected Contributor

Re: Bedding/Towels overhaul

[ Edited ]

I just redecorated our bedroom. Same thing here...I wanted good quality sheets, but didn't feel like I had to buy 1000 threads per inch. I purchased 440 threads per inch (don't remember brand, but they were Egyptian cotton), and it just makes your bed feel so luxurious. I got them at TJ Max. You can just look around and do some comparison shopping online also. I found that several places had the comforter I purchased...and at very different prices.

I don't go by name brand. I like to buy based on how things feel. For towels, I don't want satiny borders. embroidery, or swans on my towels. I like the feel of thick, soft turkish towels. Stores like Kohl's usually have different price ranges for their towels and sheets. I don't buy the cheapest, but like I said, I don't have to buy the top of the line either. Watch for sales.

Redecorating is lots of fun. Take your time and look around.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I bought bamboo sheets from Cariloha & bought flannel sheets from Lands End. I waited until I had a coupon for Lands End & I bought the sheets from Cariloha during their Black Friday sale (35% off). That's the best time of year to buy all these expensive things when they have their best deals. I doubt I would have paid the regular price for the sheets at Cariloha. I don't buy expensive pillow protectors since our latex pillow comes with a cover & have nice pillow cases over the protectors. I like the CoolMax mattress pads.

I'm on the hunt for new towels too so it will be nice to see some other replies.

I replaced the comforter set not to long ago. I bought a quilt with the 2 pillow shams. It's so much easier to make the bed. The comforter was so heavy & a hassle making the bed & all the unnecessary throw pillows. I'm all for making my life easier at this stage. If our king size bed did not have the side rails on it a quilt would not have worked without the dust ruffle which I hate. I think it looks fine hanging down to the top of the side rail so you see it.

Lands End has 30% off friends & family sale going on right now if you need any flannel sheets.

Bed Bath & Beyond always has 20% off coupons & I have seen good reviews for their sheets posted on these forums. 

Good Luck finding everything to go together in all the rooms. It took me a long time looking & deciding what I wanted. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kohl's has 30% off right now too if you use your Kohl's charge card. You can find the coupon code at "retailmenot."  It isn't a deal to me unless I get at least 30% off. Woman Wink

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Trusted Contributor

I don't purchase by designer or the name, but by the materials.  My favorite sheets though are my Tommy Bahamas - they're percale.  I also really like my 100% Egyptian Cotton in a 500 thread count.  I don't like sheets that are too heavy.  My mattress pad I think is Hotel brand and I'm not sure about my fiberbed - I love it - it's a baffle box with a 3 or 4 inch loft.  The pillow protectors I bought in Ross or Walmart - I buy the cotton ones that are hypoallergenic.  As for towels, I just purchased HSN's TS of the Turkish Towels.  I just washed 1 set and the bathmat and I'm happy with them.  I changed bathroom colors so I'll be packing up all my other towels.  Again, I only buy 100% cotton.  I saw some really nice cushy towels in Walmart on Saturday believe it or not, but they were not inexpensive on a per piece basis. I usually find bedding and bath bargains at Ross or I go to BBB and use the coupons on closeouts or clearance.  I like good quality, but I am a bargain hunter.  I don't think you need to spend a fortune to find lasting quality.  Good luck with your project - it's fun to give things a new look with towels and bedding.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

So much of what is sold are microfiber sheets- read the labels carefully & avoid anything that notes 'polyester'.  They feel soft, almost as if they were a high thread count. But the ones I've bought were awful after a washing or two- I ended up donatiing them and stick with cotton or bamboo! For colder  months I've  bought Soft & Cozy sheets over at hsn- amazing!

Respected Contributor

I always go to TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning and look for Hotel Collection brand.  They are thick and excellent quality.  You can get towels for $6 or 7.  My mattress pad was less than half price elsewhere.  They have good color selections if you hit the store when they have a new shipment, usually Tues and Thurs.

Contributor

What is wrong with Northern Nights?  For the price, I feel you can't go wrong!  I really like the Wrinkle Defense sheets they make.  If you take them out of the dryer as soon as it stops, they look great!  Also, they come in so many beautiful colors, they just had another TSV a couple of weeks ago.  Northern Nights, also make towels that are very nice in a variety of colors.  Scott Brothers, also have some very plush towels that I am using now that come in a variety of colors!  You can search these out, in the search bar on the QVC web site!  😉 Good Luck 🍀 I don't think you will be disappointed in any of these!  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz I love bamboo sheets but more than sheets I love bamboo towels.They are so hard to find that I will take almost any color stocked.The bamboo doesn't get pulls,doesn't shrink,lasts a long time but most importantly dries us off better than anything else.

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone keep the ideas coming! I learn so much on these boards.

I have the home of my dreams, the kids are older etc., etc. I can finally get some nice things. It is so exciting.