Honored Contributor

Re: Be careful when buying a couch

@SharkE- Have you contacted your State Attorney General's Office about that defective couch that wasn't even two years old?  I know it varies from state to state, but many have consumer laws in place to protect us from shoddy goods.  You may find the company that sold it to you has a long list of complaints.

When we replaced our over 25-plus-years old Broyhill three-piece set, we went with La-Z-Boy, because Broyhill had changed hands.  I think we've had our new set for about four years now, with four cats, and it still looks like new.  I remember reseaching the tests that La-Z-Boy puts its furniture and fabrics though and what the guarantee on them was.

About a week after the set was delivered, I realized I wasn't happy with the padding on one of the recliners.  Called the retailer and had a new replacement two days later.

A lot has to do with the retailer you deal with and whether they're reputable or not.   (And a lot of stuff like Ashley Furniture is just prefab junk.)

Trusted Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   Your dog is gorgeous !!!!!!

Honored Contributor

An internet friend of mine has a husband who works at a furniture/appliance

store and they had a couch returned recently.

I have no idea what is going on !  Maybe their trying to dry out furniture from the areas that are affected by Katrina and shipping them out and they have

hidden dry rot. Flood areas, etc.  On Good Morning America they're always warning about cars that were wasted by hurricanes and they dry them out and shipped the to other states with rust damage.

All I know is we spent 1,000 and got the use of a couch for 2 yrs in this year Feb.  Now, we spent another thousand to Laz e boy and awaiting delivery on it.         sigh....................

Esteemed Contributor

Why, thank you, @hayseed00.  I'll tell him you said so.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   Love the picture.  I bet your dog is spoiled rotten -- that's a good thing.  

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I love my Lazy boy recliners, but I never thought of buying a couch there, too.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Also, has anyone ever bought a couch from Pottery Barn?  I wondered if they last and are good quality? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use to spend too much money on sofas but I finally wised up and purchased a slip covered sofa from IKEA.  I have it for 6 years now with no problems.  It has the rolled down arms that are popular.  It's very comfortable to sit on and lay on.  I paid $399 but now the price is up to over $400.  It does not look cheap or is it cheaply made.  

Here it is:

EKTORP Sofa IKEA

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

I love my Lazy boy recliners, but I never thought of buying a couch there, too.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Also, has anyone ever bought a couch from Pottery Barn?  I wondered if they last and are good quality? 

@GSPgirl  My sister bought a couch from Pottery Barn a couple of years ago.  They are a family of four with a dog and lots of company.  The slipcover didn't hold up well.  She called Pottery Barn, and they said they had discontinued that fabric because there were so many complaints.  They sent her an upgraded replacement cover at no charge.  It was a grade higher than what she originally purchased.  The couch itself and the new cover have held up well.  It's two or three years old.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@SharkE  I've worked now in the furniture business for over 13 years.  First off majority of manufactors carry at least 1 year min warranty on theire products. At least we do, some more than othere's depending on manufactor. I have no idea if you purchased online and had it delivered or how that works. We are strictly brick and morter retail. 

The manufactor you mentioned Elements International we sale their case goods (wood products) bedroom, dining, etc. they are imported from you guessed it China. But we do OUR company stand behind a 1 year warranty on their products. We have a inhome service tech sub-contracted from us we have worked with this Co over 10 years a small 3 person family Co. Top notch work. but to replace a dust cover is an easy repair and minimal labor for a repair tech. 

Also for anyone reading PLEASE report any problems when first noticed with your furniture to the dealer. It could linger beyone the warranty period in which case your SOL. 

A bit of info for those who are reading.    :Majority of retailers offer extended warranty programs that cover beyond the (ONE year) we offer for up to 5 years. It's 10% in OUR store of the purchase price of the merchandise. Cover accidental rips, stains etc someone spills red wine your white sofa, sits down with a screw driver and pokes a hole in your leather etc. Paints their nails on your dining table and gets polish on it that sort of thing, plus the extra insurace after your 1 year is done like i.e. a dust cover. 

Just does NOT cover animals beeks, teeth, claws, urine. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, as I stated I bought in Feb of 17. Didn't start dropping fabric till oct of 18. one yr. warranty had expired on Feb of 18. I knew they wouldn't replace it or give me back the whole price. I thought they might pro rate it and give me back couple of hundred , but, they didn't offer snot.

They probably don't like the review I hit 'em with , though, on their website

LOL   Warning others too for their own good. I should had read the reviews first . Some people had trouble with their TV's they had bought.

Couple of seniors shouldn't had this problem. People don't care any more not like the mom and pop stores of yesterday when your trading reputation meant something. Look at Sears. Enough said.