Honored Contributor

Be careful when buying a couch

We bought a brand new couch for over thousand in Feb 2017. No kids or animals and don't smoke.   In Nov of 2018 we discovered underneath it was dropping fabric. Black acetate like shards of nylon material guess you call it the dust cover. Fell out onto the rug and we tracked it thru the house.

We complained and was told since we didn't purchse the extra fabric cover protection they wouldn't stand behind it. Problem was underneath the couch not on top of it and was in the construction of it.

we just bought a new one from Laz e Boy. Beware! don't get 'Conned'.

new one doesn't have the fabric  underneath  to worry about in future.

Honored Contributor

Re: Be careful when buying a couch

I bought an extremely expensive mattress and box springs a couple of years ago.  The same thing is happening to the bottom cover of my box springs.  I have a cat that goes under the bed, though, and it's very likely that he did it.  It's irritating when I look under there though, which I do to look for cat toys.

I'm sorry that happened with your couch.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I buy all my couches & chairs from Laz E Boy. I never had a problem and customer service is very nice. Sometimes they will leave me a voice mail when they have a sale. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I bought a chaise lounge in 2014.  Come to find out, it was designed for commercial spaces and man it is rugged (but good looking).  Even my shepherd's long nails can't penetrate the upholstery and the platform it sits on is tight.

Bought it from Bassett, on line.  It's basically a sofa with no back.  I didn't want to block my front windows.  Love it.

fullsizeoutput_164.jpeg

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

awwwwww isn't he a black darlin'

my favorite is the pugs, but, I'm to old now and all I can do to maintain myself and a husband and a house to be responsible for a pug. LOL

Honored Contributor

@SharkE   inquiring minds want to know....what brand was the sofa that fell apart?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

give me a second I'll check my receipt

Honored Contributor

Element International Magnum mocha reclining sofa

Honored Contributor

UMR157305

Respected Contributor

This topic is timely for me.  I live an hour away fron one mid-level furniture store.  If they don't have what I like I'll have to gamble online and have one in mind through Birch Lane, a 5-star 269-reviewed sofa and have received leather sample colors to consider.  The horror stories of sofas breaking apart, tearing at seams, not sewn, feathers and metal poking through, enough to scare anyone.