Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower — you sound like you could be my twin. I drive my husband crazy because if he’s the last one out the door, I ask him if he made sure it was locked - I've even gone back and checked it. If he gets his credit card or license out when I’m with, I want him to double check that he put them back. I’m sure it must be exhausting living with me. I know I exhaust myself. 

Honored Contributor

I once had DH throw out my yellow Eureka vacuum, the new one.  I had two and obviously meant to dispose of the broken old one.  I even approved the move when he tossed it out of the bed of the pickup into our local dump.  After reading about the diamond, I don't feel nearly as bad.  So sorry for your loss, seriously.

Honored Contributor

This is such a good reminder, I think we have all tossed something by accident. 

Our family has a story of  gifted diamond earrings that were missing Christmas night. My grandmother thinks they got mixed up in the wrapping paper that day and went into the fire. You think they might have found the remnants in the ashes but I guess they didn't. 

I know part of this happens when we stash things for safe keeping, in a place that isn't ordinary for it. I have tried to get out of that habit, after I 'lost' for about a decade, a beautiful watch/necklace. I looked for it for years and just assumed it ended up getting accidentally donated. I found it after a good decade missing, in the basement inside a covered crock that I had packed up to save with some other old home decor pieces I wasn't using anymore. 

I was going through and getting rid of old decor and luckily opened this piece and found it. Then I remember having put it there, while the piece was on display in the dining room. I used to stash some jewelry pieces there when I'd come home and take them off right away, but guess I simply forgot when packing things away. 

I've learned to try to keep things where they  belong. 

I also stand at the car when loading donations and look good, think hard and I am the only one that I allow to take and unload donations, as I concentrate on what is coming out of the car at the donation center too.

Honored Contributor

I always check pockets.  I usually find a kleenex and sometimes a small amount of change or a dollar bill.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~