Esteemed Contributor

I always check the pockets whether I am throwing the item in the washer or throwing/donating it ... better safe than sorry 😊

Trusted Contributor

OH MY @Desert Lily...wow what a heart stopper.

I also was going through my a few cabinets in my basement last week and I was throwing out old empty little jewelry boxes.  I pulled one out to throw out and it fell on the floor, and in it was a note from my daughter . I remember she made a necklace in the 2nd grade for mothers day at school, and wrote a little note.

I still have the necklace, no idea why I didnt take the note out...but I have it now.

Though not monetary value...value of heart for sure...she is now 16 and I am teaching her to drive....time surely flies in a blink....

Thanks and ladies great advise and reminder she gave us....look close , check pockets, open boxes.  I learned this when we sold my folks home...my mother had 20.00 bills shoved in the weirdest places.  tons of them.

Esteemed Contributor

Someday, I want to be a person who finds money in an unexpected place—that just never happens for me! Years ago, I placed a $20 bill in the pocket of a winter coat before I put it away for the season, thinking that would be a fun surprise in a few months, but my darn brain kept reminding me that the money was there so I ended up retrieving it after just a couple of weeks. Yeah, I know I have issues...  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Skididdy  Your mother and my parents  must have been related.  My parents had money stuffed everywhere...in sugar bowls or casserole dishes in the cupboards.  In pockets in clothing hanging the the closets, in shoes, etc.

When my mother passed, I found $1500 in the pocket of a faux fur coat we were getting ready to donate.

One Sunday afternoon, my father called and asked for help.  He said the ceiling in the dining room fell down.  My husband and I went there immediately and couldn't believe what we saw.

He had one of those suspended ceilings that has tiles that fit into a frame.  It seems he was stashing money and other valuables up there for years. One day the extra weight caused the ceiling to break loose and come down.  There was money, mostly $20's, and papers everywhere. 

My DH had to reinstall the ceiling and reminded him that he could not use the area between the suspended ceiling and the original ceiling as a storage area.

After my father passed, the building was sold.  My siblings and I, still go this day, wonder how much money was still in there somewhere that we missed finding.

Respected Contributor

I had a pyramid diamond ring .75 points that fell into the garbage and then went to the incinerator. Bye bye.

I wasn’t purging I was cleaning.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I always check the pockets before tossing.  I've found money by doing that.

Me too!

Esteemed Contributor

When I accumulate a bag for Goodwill I wait until I have enough to fill my trunk

so I move it from house to garage. I tie it up and write Goodwill on the outside.

It does create a bit of clutter in the garage, but it sure feels good to drop it all

in one trip.

Many times I have gone back into a bag or two, thinking I can still use this thing.

I always check pockets, yes time comsuming but worth it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Be Careful When Purging

[ Edited ]

@Carmie It is amazing isnt it ?  We found money in shoes as well, stuffed inside large dark red wine glasses she never used on the highest cupboard .   We also found 1200.00 taped under her clothing armoire in an envelope, 10.00 bills rolled up in old pill bottles.  We were shocked.

I think we ended up finding over 3700.00 when we were finished.

She is now in a nursing home and we asked her about the money, she didnt remember putting alot of it in the places we mentioned, but she said she never wanted her family to struggle like she did.  Never wanted her girls to do without.

She has onset dementia now, but that explaination was very clear and very sincere to see her face and tears rolling. It was touching. She also said....your dad never knew of any of it...We laughed so hard.

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

When I donate handbags, I go through all the pockets twice -- and then hold the bag upside down and shake it. Then check the pockets again for good measure. lol

Yeah, I know that's a bit much.

I do this too. I've even had someone else go through the pockets again just to be sure. I think it's because I have ocd and one of the things I do is check things -- over and over and over again. It makes me crazy! 

Esteemed Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

When I donate handbags, I go through all the pockets twice -- and then hold the bag upside down and shake it. Then check the pockets again for good measure. lol

Yeah, I know that's a bit much.

I do this too. I've even had someone else go through the pockets again just to be sure. I think it's because I have ocd and one of the things I do is check things -- over and over and over again. It makes me crazy! 

@akaburtonfan

I hear ya. I sometimes have my daughter check, too.

It makes me crazy when I have to double or triple check the stove/burners after I've turned them off.

Hotel rooms...Most people will let the door close behind them and keep walking. Not me -- I'll check to make sure the door closed all the way and is locked.