Respected Contributor

What are you going to do down there?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Looks like the kind of place where you could read or relax with some music. I like the space you created.

Respected Contributor

Anyone know the approximate cost to remodel a basement which is currently nothing but concrete ?

Honored Contributor

I like your rocking chairs.  My mom has her mothers rocking chair that looks just like the one on the left as I see it here. It is the most comfortable chair and I go for it every time I am at mom's home.  Looks like a great place to sit and have a cup of coffee. 

Fresh paint always makes such a difference. I'm happy it is all coming together for you.  I've often longed for a basement.  If I ever built one of those tiny houses 800-900 sq. ft.) I would still want a basement under it!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

What are you going to use it for?  I don't see a TV son I guess it's not a family room.

@Kachina624 

The photos I posted are just one end of a large space. At this end I can sit and read or talk with someone. I also have 2 large foldable tables that I get out for jigsaw puzzles, crafts, etc. 

Not pictured: The middle section is our home office & the opposite end is my DH’s DVD & CD collection, TV, old phonograph & gaming system, and sofas. 

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

What are you going to do down there?

@Peaches McPhee 

See my response to Kachina posted above. 

Honored Contributor

Looks very very nice, such nice high ceilings too....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Basement Remodel Pt. 2

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

Anyone know the approximate cost to remodel a basement which is currently nothing but concrete ?

@Reever 

I do not know what the cost would be now.  But we remodeled part of the basement (24' x 18') in our former home about 15 years ago.  Back then it cost us about $3,000, adding two huge closets for storage.  One closet was 24' long; the other was 14' long; both a must IMO).  We used wood flooring, covered the posts, painted walls, etc.  I think the biggest cost was the flooring, wiring, and the lumber to build the closets.  We also updated the electrical panel box.  We did a lot of the work ourselves, with some help from carpenters in the family.

We do not have a basement in our new home.  I really miss the extra storage; however, we use our garage for extra storage now.  We downsized to a retirement community a year ago and love it here.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~