Respected Contributor

Do you think that the homes that Keith designs on Bargain Block could be considered art?

I was discussing this with a BFF. Artists create sculptures from recycled or unique materials, live art, transient art (art that changes quickly), etc. So, there are many form of "art." Keith has goals of creating "something completely different" within the functioning home realm. (I'm not saying that I find everything Keith does as aesthetically pleasing or that I'm fond of everything he does. I do like that they make major improvements.)

But, maybe Evan helps with providing Keith the materials (canvas) with his construction expertise, and maybe what Keith creates is something called "house art" - not just individual pieces of art within the house, but the whole house as art. And not architecture. It's not just craftsmanship or cookie-cutter flips. I think it's something more or different.

I was thinking & wondering if 20+ years from now, some of the Bargain Block houses would have been preserved and recognized like an art exhibit.

So, is what Keith does on Bargain Block "house art"?

Respected Contributor

Maybe art...maybe not. Art is very subjective so I guess it has to be up to the individual to decide. Keith and Evan appear to be the nicest people, but I never saw Keith do anything that I like. As a matter of fact I can't watch the show anymore. I know they are on a very limited budget, but everything Keith does looks very cheap and "homemade."

Respected Contributor

@Janey2  House prices are based on the cost per square foot. So if they put cookie-cutter top-of-line materials into a reno house for $125/square foot, they'd lose $ because they couldn't sell for the price they'd need to reinvest at $150/square foot with those materials. Maybe having to work with inexpensive materials is what inspired Keith's "house art"? idk

I agree that art is subjective, but new forms pop up. Maybe it's a new form and maybe it would be recognized in hindsight in the future?

Respected Contributor

I see your point, but for it to remain "house art" I think it would have to remain in pristine condition. Most people get into a house and start changing things around through the years. For the house to remain art it would have to be a " showcase."

Respected Contributor

Yes, I completely agree and think that the houses on Bargain Block are a form of art.  But art is not always stagnant--there is also the category of performance art, such as going to the ballet, or the opera, or the theater, or a concert.  It is the creativity and uniqueness that adds wonder to the experience.

The art is in the moment, but the memory is forever.

These houses are all part of the repertoire of performance art--creating a theme and decorating a house to match.  As the team completes dozens of homes, their resume of achievement grows.  I do not think the house itself and contents necessarily need to be preserved as they are, but instead the whole piece should be carefully documented, as the designers have done with their shows. 

I certainly applaud their commitment to Detroit and their dedication to creating great, fully furnished, livable homes at reasonable prices.

Esteemed Contributor

I love this show. 

Not my style of art, but they sell them fully furnished. 

They don't do "staged"  My complaints about all other shows is they stage them. I've complained to them that they should use the owner's actual furniture, not staged.  No one responded.  Because what do I know? 

Esteemed Contributor

I stumbled across this show and I think it is so nice that Keith and Evan are trying to improve Detroit.  I don't care for some of Keith's art, but that's just me. 

The only thing I find lacking is a washer/dryer space, but it would be very hard to find that in these small homes.

I wonder what they are going to do about that duplex that closed out last night's episode?

Super Contributor

I think the "art" apeals to the neighborhoods in Detroit

Trusted Contributor

Their decor and "art" are not my cup of tea but I love what they are doing to bring back life to neighborhoods in Detroit that would otherwise be vacant. They offer people an opportunity to own a home at a price that they couldn't find anywhere else. I really have to applaud them. 

Trusted Contributor

I personally, do not usually like their art. All I could think of with this project was the nightmare of dusting and keeping it cleaned.

Keith Bynum and Evan Thomas' 'Rock the Block' House Is for Sale