Esteemed Contributor

Re: BUYING A NEW BED

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

Lots of sales this weekend.

The next mattress I'll buy is a Beautyrest.    

You don't need a box spring, just a frame/base.   I'm going to get an adjustable base.

I want the pillowtop firm.

Go try it, it's incredible.

it's soft, it holds you like being on a featherbed but the mattress is firm, so you get support.   It's better than a sleeping pill.

@pdlinda

I will have to look into that also. I will be getting a adjustable bed in the next 8 or nine months.  Can you do a adjustable base with it. I ask because looking at denver matress it doesn't give you option of a adjustable base.

Valued Contributor

For what it is worth I have been sleeping on a Serta Eurotop that I bought here on the Q for 18 months and I am very happy with it.  I got the medium plush version which seems to work for me, soft on the top few inches with good support underneath.

Recently while I was in a motel in SC I slept on a nice bed.  I made sure to look at the tags on it just in case I wanted to make a mental note for a future purchase.  Actually I took a photo of the tag so I could always look back on it whenever.  It was a Sealy Posturpedic Celestial 120 Plush mattress that I found so instantly comfortable in that motel.

IMG_3219.JPG

Honored Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

For what it is worth I have been sleeping on a Serta Eurotop that I bought here on the Q for 18 months and I am very happy with it.  I got the medium plush version which seems to work for me, soft on the top few inches with good support underneath.

Recently while I was in a motel in SC I slept on a nice bed.  I made sure to look at the tags on it just in case I wanted to make a mental note for a future purchase.  Actually I took a photo of the tag so I could always look back on it whenever.  It was a Sealy Posturpedic Celestial 120 Plush mattress that I found so instantly comfortable in that motel.

IMG_3219.JPG

I did the same thing! Except I did not take a picture of the mattress, I wrote the name of the mattress on a piece of paper. Big Mistake. When we got back from the trip - I have not idea what happened to the piece of paper.

Honored Contributor

Because mattress manufacturers change the name of the mattress with each retailer so you can't compare prices, you'll probably never see a mattress by that name anywhere else.  They are the only industry that gets away with these deceptive tactics. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: BUYING A NEW BED

[ Edited ]

I always recommend buying a mattress at ur local mattress store - but check Yelp for reviews on several mattress stores in ur area. Also, google the names of several mattress stores to see if there are complaints.

I recently purchased a Simmons Beautyrest Queen Size - Silver Luxury Firm Mattress - it's actually Medium/Firm.. It's 13" high (higher than older mattresses). The box spring in the store was 6" - so the salesman ordered a box spring for me that's 2". Otherwise, I'd have to climb into the bed - and I'm short..It also has the COOL feature - never gets hot. Less foam than other mattresses (I didn't want a lot of foam).

I paid $1,000 around Memorial Day - and there was a sale - and the salesman said it's regularly $1,300. I purchased 7 other mattresses from this store in the past - so I trusted them. I'm very happy with this mattress.

Always buy a new box spring when buying a new mattress.

You need to tell the salesperson what ur looking for in a mattress - and they'll describe a few different mattresses - and prices. Lay on each mattress for a few minutes (it's really hard to tell) - but at least you'll get an idea.

My salesman also told me that I had a month to try out the mattress - and during the 2nd or 3rd month, I could exchange it - if I weren't happy. Can't beat that. Always pay with a credit card - in case there's a dispute.

I went to another local store (closer to my home) first - but couldn't stand the salesman - so I left. I called ahead to the other store (where I purchased before) - and spoke to the salesman (also the manager) who I purchased from before. I have to feel comfortable with the salesperson - otherwise, I'm out the door. I've been finding that the salespeople are very relaxed and NOT pushy --- if they are - leave. 

Make sure u can exchange the mattress within 3 months - if ur not happy. So - you'll feel more comfortable.Let them write it on the receipt.

I got FREE delivery and they took my old mattress.

I also went to Costco and purchased bed pillows - very inexpensive. Gel Cloud Memory Foam Comfort Pillows - 2 in a pack. Keeps Cool - and very comfy. Has removeable washable covers. Amazing!!!

Honored Contributor

For me, I would probably not do memory foam because I hear they are hot.  I had a memory foam pillow once and it made my head so hot I couldn't stand it. 

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

Lots of sales this weekend.

The next mattress I'll buy is a Beautyrest.    

You don't need a box spring, just a frame/base.   I'm going to get an adjustable base.

I want the pillowtop firm.

Go try it, it's incredible.

it's soft, it holds you like being on a featherbed but the mattress is firm, so you get support.   It's better than a sleeping pill.

@software  We went to a really great hotel in NY years ago that had just remodeled.  The mattress was the most incredible and most comfortable mattress that I had ever slept on.  My husband thought so too.    I got on the hotel website and found out what it was.  They actually had info on it on the website because so many people had asked.  It was a special version of the Beautyrest with the Firm Pillowtop.  Had I needed a new mattress at the time, I would have bought that in a heartbeat.  I need one soon....   and that is exactly the direction I'm running.

Trusted Contributor

I just purchased a Simmons Beautyrest and love it. The best bed I ever had -- up until now -- was a Simmons Beautyrest so I knew I wanted the same thing. I bought the mattress and box spring (the tall box spring -- you can get a shorter version). It's a hybrid, meaning it has a combination of foam and coils. I shopped at a local Mattress Firm store and got great service and warranty. When I crawl into bed at night it's like sleeping on a cloud.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had my memory foam mattress with a cooling gel pad for a year now. I love it. For the first time in years I can sleep on my side without pain and it's not hot despite's living in Arizona. My old mattress was a Serta and I hated that thing. It was only about 5 years old but it had to go. I would wake up in the morning in pain from my neck to my hips and it would take almost all morning to get the kinks out. I also got and adjustable base so my feet and head are raised just a bit. 

Trusted Contributor

I live in Phx and will be going to my local Mattress Firm store.  Thanks so much for the suggestions!