Honored Contributor

BURN REGULAR TAPER CANDLES WITH MINIMUM DRIPS AND MESS

[ Edited ]

The coffee table thread made me think of this.  Have you avoided using your prized candlesticks, and burning tall taper candles, because of the waxy drips and gunk that ends up sticking to the candlesticks?

Of course, buying dripless candles can be one solution.  But I find them expensive, and besides, I want to use up the regular ones I have.

My neice gave me something called "candle followers" that look like these:

61peyegjdPL._SL1005_.jpg

They're made of brass.  You put them on top of the candle, and they contain most or all of the drips, all the way down!  I think you can get them at Amazon, at around $19.

We don't burn taper candles that often, and always closely attend because of fire hazard.  But I love having my old pewter, iron, brass, and barley twist wooden candlesticks out, with tall, elegant tapers in them, ready to be lit for a delightful short interval.  It's such a romantic look!

These "followers" help keep mess to a minimum, yay.

Never tire of the warmth and charm of old candlesticks:

Honored Contributor

Re: BURN REGULAR TAPER CANDLES WITH MINIMUM DRIPS AND MESS

@Oznell   THANKS!  I have seen these and think they look smart!  Now I know what they are called.

I love your candle holder too.  And I don't think I ever saw a barley twist one I didn't like.  I have a bunch of heavy beautiful pewter-like material ones I bought at a big craft and arts festival many years ago and I still love them! 

Honored Contributor

I love finding fellow candlestick afficionados, @Sooner!  Should clarify, the chamber stick shown is not mine-- it's a stock photo online.  I don't have the ability to take pictures of my own and post here.

I do have a battered old pewter one of my own, quite similar to it, though.

Esteemed Contributor

I still use dinner tapers. I get them from AI Root candles. Smokeless and dripless.

I like their short tapers. I think they start at 5-7". Nice in the fall/winter for a casual weeknight meal at the dinner table. 

I've seen the brass followers used on alter candles in churches.

Honored Contributor

Your candlelit dinners must be lovely-- so civilized, @Snowpuppy!

Valued Contributor

These have been around forever. They use them a lot in churches. If you are interested in a better solution for taper candles, look up Lucid Candles.

Honored Contributor

Fillable candles like those are another great option, thanks, @MaryLamb!   The more choices of problem-solving items in the marketplace to use, the better.  For some reason, I'm partial to low-tech, traditional candles, so the "followers" are a boon to me...

Esteemed Contributor

I have never burned my tapers because of the mess. Thanks again @Oznell  for the heads up on this product. You should write a book. You write so eliquintly. 

Honored Contributor

That is so dear of you to say, kind @godi --  thank you.