Honored Contributor

BUNNY WILLIAMS' COUNTRY HOUSE

I guess Bunny Williams is pretty much the undisputed master of a certain kind of traditional American decorating, succeeding the late, lamented Sister Parish and Albert Hadley.

Her superb Connecticut digs are fun to take in.  I don't like to think of what it must take to maintain all that cozy perfection, but it's dreamy.  Very English-accented.  I know from following her in all the decorating mags that she sometimes throws a surprise into all that tradition.  I love the geometric gold floor lamp she did.

Never have been drawn to yellow rooms (except of course Nancy Lancaster's famous, inimitable London drawing room) but Williams' yellow sitting room-- that's some nice room!  How cheerful on an overcast day!

Comfortable, traditional high style at its best.  Clutter-phobes, best avoid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0MEszcscvQ

Honored Contributor

Re: BUNNY WILLIAMS' COUNTRY HOUSE

I can’t say that there is very much I like about traditional but I do like her use of color and the eclectic mix. Funny her yellow rooms look like the same shade yellow as my living and dining areas.
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't read the caution to clutter phobes 🤐

I don't get the purpose of putting tables in front of bookcases unless that's just a look?

Wonder how much she spends on Swiffers each year?

Respected Contributor

Honestly there is too much going on in every room. Even i...

Honestly there is too much going on in every room. Even if I had a housekeeper it’s still over the top. Seeing less is my goal. The one thing that I have is textured wallpaper and I like it. My age has something to do with it I am sure.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

I guess Bunny Williams is pretty much the undisputed master of a certain kind of traditional American decorating, succeeding the late, lamented Sister Parish and Albert Hadley.

Her superb Connecticut digs are fun to take in.  I don't like to think of what it must take to maintain all that cozy perfection, but it's dreamy.  Very English-accented.  I know from following her in all the decorating mags that she sometimes throws a surprise into all that tradition.  I love the geometric gold floor lamp she did.

Never have been drawn to yellow rooms (except of course Nancy Lancaster's famous, inimitable London drawing room) but Williams' yellow sitting room-- that's some nice room!  How cheerful on an overcast day!

Comfortable, traditional high style at its best.  Clutter-phobes, best avoid!

@Oznell I was very fortunate to work in that rarefied air of Albert Hadley, Bunny Williams, Mario Buatta and my David Easton!  Bunny Williams is one of the nicest ladies you could ever meet, she is married to John Rosselli who is in the video.  He had a lovely retail shop on East 72 Street in Manhattan with antiques and decorative objects.  It is now on East 61 Street.  The house remind me so much of his shop!  Her work is not like this and her Manhattan apartment is not either.  It does reflect both of them.  His love of antiques and the difficulty of resisting things you love.  I agree with you that it is fun to take in and enjoy the presentation.  The grounds are beautiful as well.  He is as charming as she is.  Her home has an English feel to it and I find it charming, yes, overcrowded but still enjoyable to me.  You can see that the home is well lived in and not, just, staged for a photo shoot.  I agree the yellow is a beautiful soft yellow and it brightens everything on a cloudy day.  I, too, like Nancy Lancaster's yellow room.  David Hicks was partial to yellow as well.

She is a very close friend of David Easton who I worked for years ago.

Thanks for the visit!

Honored Contributor

I love the Conservatory and the Kitchen...the remainder of the house would need to have 75% of the STUFF removed for me to breath in there. 

Your warning was spot on!Woman Happy...but I still enjoy looking!

Honored Contributor

Wow, @Somertime, what a treat to come upon your post!  What an exciting life you have led, to have worked among these greats.  It is an absolute thrill to hear from someone as knowledgeable as you, and as discreet, tactful and kind in your comments about these famous achievers.  I can only imagine the stories  you have warehoused in your lucky memory!

Thank you for contributing, and gosh, I hope to see many, many, more of your informed comments in the "Home" forum, @Somertime!  

Honored Contributor

UNNY WILLIAMS' COUNTRY HOUSE

Growing up I always loved mansions and would have loved the challenge of decorating one in my taste.  This home is exquisite and filled with stunning furniture, artwork, collectibles, so much to see and take in.  I would feel right at home in Ms. William's place because it is similar to what I love.  I also agree with these type homes there is always change going on and that makes it even more interesting and enjoyable for me.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   Thank you!  It, truly, was a time of wonder especially in the beginning before computers and CAD.  Everything was done in house.  All drawings, everything was done by hand including invoicing and accounting.  It became an easier work load once computers and CAD became the norm.

David Easton has done the last great estate, Ablemarle in Charlottesville, Va.  The old Kluge Estate which is now owned by Trump.  It was magnificent!  Besides the main house, stables, garage, carriage house and the servant quarters, it had it's own chapel as well.  David designed it all including the vestments for the priests to wear at Mass.  The attention to detail was what he was known for.  Patricia Kluge was married to John Kluge a multi millionaire who owned Metro Media which was channel 5 in New York.  They divorced and she received one of the largest divorce settlements ever at the time.  She married again and opened a winery in Charlottlesville Va. which produced some award winning wines but vineyards bleed money.  Unfortunately, she was placed in a position where she was forced to sell both properties.  All the beautiful items from Ablemarle were auctioned at Sotheby's but she sold both Ablemarle and the vineyard as well.  Both were purchased by Trump.  Ablemarle is now a B&B but all the beautiful details in the house, the paneling, moulding, etc. are long gone, replaced.  I think the dinning room is intact.  The vineyard has lost it's reputation for it's wine and the house, Ablemarle and it's beauty is part of a past that does not exist.  Ablemarle was beautiful and amazing that it belonged to one family and was a family home and all of this was in the 20 Century!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you, I enjoyed the video very much.