Honored Contributor

Re: BUNNY WILLIAMS' COUNTRY HOUSE

Extraordinary to hear first hand from you that wealth of detail about Albemarle, @Somertime.  Amazing.  The vanishing world of these houses, and the designers who worked on them is endlessly fascinating.  You can be so proud of the work you were involved in with David Easton, as you say, done before all the many electronic and other aids were put to work helping...

For those of us interested in the world of design, but from the "outside", your insights are invaluable! 

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00, it's my pleasure!

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Oznell , for this delightful peek into her home (one of them, at any rate).

I also much appreciate that you give us sources and background.  It makes it easy to learn from what you've found and shared, instead of just soliciting an opinion.  I do not think it matters what anyone thinks of her home since we are not living there.  I do think we can learn, even if just in a small way, from what we see.

I loved her story about the napkin.  I wish I'd done that years ago when a restaurant I love had a color scheme I adored but then they all of a sudden changed it to neutrals.  It used to have more of a Tuscan feel but now it looks kind of mainstream "American."  Which is fine, but it no longer is as distinctive as it used to be.  Luckily the food is still great! Woman Happy

I was also happy to learn that the shade of yellow she loved in Italy was equally loved in the light of Connecticut.  Sometimes that doesn't always work out.

Finally, I very much like her pieces offered through Ballard Designs.  If anyone wants to see those, just click on the Ballard Designs link on the bottom of each and every QVC page.

Here's an example of some of her tabletop items from BD:

Related image

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Those are striking, @GingerPeach.

Respected Contributor

I found very little to appeal to my taste....yes, indeed, it is a clutter box!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I adore Bunny Williams and her husband is legendary in the world of antiques dealers. If you haven't, do yourself a favor and get hold of her book "An Affair with a House". I'm sure she has other books about decorating out there, but this one features lots of details about the Connecticut house featured in the video and is a joy. I go back and look at it from time to time and always enjoy it. She's pretty clearly made significant changes since the book was published. To me, some are for the better, but many are not. Regardless, it's still a wonderful property and a lovely home. 'Cluttered' or not, I enjoy her aesthetic. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's interesting and significant that @Somertime mentioned that the Connecticut house is the product of both husband and wife's styles, with his (admittedly fine but profuse) collecting instinct perhaps trumping her somewhat more selective eye!

That rang true to me, b/c when I see the design work she does for others, she seems more "edited" than in the house she lives in.  That's my preference too, yet the place they've created together is certainly glorious in its own right...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Oznell  She and her husband are moving or have moved into a different NYC apartment, but a search will net you pictures of their then current apartment. There are many similarities in aesthetic to the Connecticut house but it is a good bit more edited. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...