Trusted Contributor

@Oznell Blue is my favorite color, so there is a lot of it in our house.  Those accessories are great!  You have to change up your look from time to time and these things are just the ticket!

Big Lots has certainly changed in the last 20 years, which was probably the last time I was there.  Thanks for showing the cute stuff!  Think I should toddle on down there!

Honored Contributor

Re: BRINGING IN THE BLUES

[ Edited ]

So agreed, @VegasBusinessWoman -- switching things up now and then-- even just a small amount-- is enlivening.

By the way, there's even a stylish alternative for those needing an actual "food-safe" pitcher (the solid blue one is for decorative purposes only.)

This one has a clean, "Greek island" feeling to me for some reason.  And it coordinates with those mixed media mugs, with its pleasing medallion design and unglazed lower part:

images.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

I love that pitcher and the color is just gorgeous!  I supposed it is the closest I would ever get to a Tuscan Villa!  Big Lots does often have a nice variety of different decorating pieces. And as you have stated, you don't have to commit to a large sum of money to make a big difference in your decorating! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

I recently discovered Big Lots and quickly became a fan.

They have some of the best seasonal items at great prices.

While I don't buy for my own home all that much (trying to streamline things), I do find a treasure trove of items for gift baskets that I make.

Right now, they have several lovely floral and lemon themed items.  

Their online services are really great if you do not have a store nearby.

Esteemed Contributor

I love wearing blue. I even had a blue car once. The adirondack chairs and flower pots on our back porch are cobalt blue. But for some reason I haven't decorated the interior of our home with blue. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I have shades of blue (from aqua to navy) in my home. We live on the Bay so it flows nicely here.

A Big Lots just opened about 15 minutes from me...I can't wait to get there.

Honored Contributor

A perfect time for adding to one's blue collection, @Oznell 

I think that is the perfect use for "color of the year," i.e., finding pieces in a color that you already like whether clothing, decor, small appliances, and so on. 

Interestingly, I find myself gravitating toward green accents this year.  (Shades of Temp-tations shamrock items!)  I wonder how long I will feel drawn toward green?

Image result for temp-tations floral lace shamrock bowls

The bowls are cute but I'm a little bothered by the ungraceful shape of the cream pitcher.

Image result for temp-tations floral lace shamrock bowls

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Your shamrock items are so charming, @GingerPeach !   I'm drawn to green too.  Green, blue, I've always tended to seesaw.  For years I had a green velvet couch that sort of dictated and "suggested" other green decorative possibilites.  That's how my tiny green Wedgwood collection got started...

Then in this house, I pulled out these simple, inexpensive Paris prints that my Mother had framed for me.  They are predominantly blue, so I started going in that direction again, and living room walls became robin's egg blue, etc. I have a lot more green accents in my little dining room.

I LOVE that little tray you have with sugar, creamer etc.  I wonder if that little oblong vessel they include is for tea bags?  It's such a great little set!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My guess is that the tiny rectangular dish is for sugar/sweetener packets, @Oznell  

(But I expect I'll be breaking up the set to use for other things - like flowers. So many options. Not to mention the dangers of free shipping!)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Checked out Big Lots this afternoon. In person nothing from this collection really spoke to me. They did not have everything from the collection in store. Money saved.

I did buy the other item I went in for: a large 2- handled plastic shopping tote for under $6.00. I will use it for grocery shopping, especially at Aldi, where the checkers go so fast and fling everything back into the cart. This way, everything will end up in the tote as it is almost as large as the entire cart and the tote weighs almost nothing when empty.

Pick up the handles and go, whether buying a little or a lot!

I seem to have found the only one of it's kind in the store. I will have to check back to get another for DS & DDIL.