Honored Contributor

Re: BOOKS IN THE LIVING ROOM

[ Edited ]

@Somertime wrote:

For me, it depends upon the size of the coffee table. I have two stacks on my table plus fresh flowers, a candle but I have piles under the table especially at either end and some in the middle.  I find my company does enjoy looking at them especially if they start with the ones on the table.  I have several stacks around my living room, some near chairs or a loveseat.  My living room is very large, so it creates little nooks and favorite reading spots as well.

@Somertime 

I do too.  Like the Europeans, I stack art work around the walls and I have a zigarat of books that forms a column.

I like books and artwork instead of printed fabric.  I do like damasks with tone-on-tone but not bold prints.  I did that in the 1970s.  I wish I still loved it.

Honored Contributor

It's fun to hear all the different "relationships" we have with books, and resourceful storage and display ideas.

@spiderw,  your ideas for your 'horror classics'-- so creative, and what I would expect of you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Oh, if there is ever a give-away in furniture, and I get to choose a piece, let it be that chest over by the mantle and that will make me happy.  Somebody has some "good stuff."  Look at that mantle of what appears to be marble, the beautiful chest and the awesome mirror and oh, by golly --- it's hard to get beyond those windows.  My neighbor has windows like that.  She did glass-pained windows from floor-to-ceiling, after she moved in, and bumped a wall out and made it into a very formal sunroom.  Was such a clever and gorgeous idea.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the room, but the coffee table looks like a counter in a used book store.  I have one book on my c.t. that is the Dowton Abbey cookbook.  Can't stand clutter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not really loving the room's furnishings or the book stacking. I prefer most of my books on shelves unless I am currently reading something. I've had a few coffee table books in the past, but in my experience people rarely pick them up. People visit for conversation with the homeowners - not to read. I love the windows and doors. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, @Nonametoday ,  that burnished chest is such a beauty!  Lovely appointments like those windows you reference, are such a dream-- the light in such rooms is so beautiful, and it would be so nice to track its ever-changing aspect as the day wears on.  Great for looking out on a snowfall too...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, yes, @Nonametoday ,  that burnished chest is such a beauty!  Lovely appointments like those windows you reference, are such a dream-- the light in such rooms is so beautiful, and it would be so nice to track its ever-changing aspect as the day wears on.  Great for looking out on a snowfall too...

@Oznell 

There is a beautiful home in Charleston, I cannot remember the plantation name of the original owners, but it has a grand loggia which they have enclosed with glass and it has beautiful appointments and it just made me want to live there even if I had to clean the kitchen and bathrooms for my room and board.

Valued Contributor

No, I do not like all the books piled on the coffee table. I use several bookshelves for that purpose. The room is lovely but too formal. My decor leans toward eclectic and casual comfort, tho I would enjoy all the windows if there were anything outside worth seeing.

My coffee table is functional rather than decorative. Among the coasters and a tray that holds remotes fot the tv, roku, dvd player, bluetooth sound bar, lamps, candles, light tree, fans, a couple of power banks and eye glasses, are usually 2-3 current library books. Oh, and a rather largish bowl that serves as a cat holder when I'm on the sofa reading or binge watching. The cats like to scratch at the smooth ceramic surface then curl up in the bowl while they keep an eye on me. Everything on the table has at some point been knocked to the floor, including the bowl which cracked in half but was rehabbed using E6000 glue.

Honored Contributor

Right now, I have a few catalogs I am keeping to think about a few things on my coffee table.  I have a large angel by Lladro, an antique candle stick, and a pierced tin box with a lid.

The coffee table in this picture is definately overloaded, a look I don't care for.

Honored Contributor

No for books on the coffee table. I would put the books I'm reading on the end table shelf, as pictured.