Super Contributor

Re: BOOKS IN THE LIVING ROOM

I don't care for the stacks of books on the coffee table.  Each year for Christmas my DD gives me a scrapbook of family photos.  I usually keep the current scrapbook on my coffee table, along with a tray with a candle, living plant and small seasonal picture.  I do not have a grand livingroom, it is a combination livingroom, den, and family room.  I do have a collection of favorite novels on my mantel, and a stack of books/magazines on a side table near my recliner.  

Respected Contributor

For me, it depends upon the size of the coffee table. I have two stacks on my table plus fresh flowers, a candle but I have piles under the table especially at either end and some in the middle.  I find my company does enjoy looking at them especially if they start with the ones on the table.  I have several stacks around my living room, some near chairs or a loveseat.  My living room is very large, so it creates little nooks and favorite reading spots as well.

Honored Contributor

I can count about 170 books shelved in the white built in's I see from where I am sitting, another 22 in a stack and a horizontal stack on the sofa table, 7 on the table beside me and 8 on a shelf below a narrow end table, 3 on the kitchen table and 4 on the sofa.

Not counting those in the office, more than 100, and upstairs in bookshelves.  

Oh and I missed another small room that we use to watch tv.  There's a bookshelf in there.

Uh oh!  

Trusted Contributor

I love the 2nd photo ~ The bold print (at least to me the fabric seems a bold choice) of the chairs is appealing.  I may try to go this route (out of my comfort zone with boldness) when I have some chairs reupholstered later this year : )

The window treatments don't do anything for me ~ the piles of books on the coffee table seem to be dust collectors ~ that being said, I am book lover and adore a room complete with fully stocked shelves.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've noticed both interior designers AND traditional Brits (and I believe Peter Dunham is an expatriate Brit), really go for that look of books virtually covering the coffee table.  It's kind of a country house "look".  In a sense, the coffee table is a 'bookshelf'  or a supplementary bookshelf.

Like some of you, I have too many books elsewhere in the room, stacked and on shelves and tables, and in adjoining rooms, to want to have that many on my coffee table.  Although I'll always have some there-- love having a few close to hand, plus they make great risers!

I enjoy your keen eye for a decorating detail,  @Irish1210 !  I was also little bit taken with that bold fabric print as well.   Loved the way they combined the colors of it with those dreamy pale green toss pillows, too....

Esteemed Contributor

Lovely room. Yikes. Too many books! I may have a book I'm currently reading handily placed in living room -- but will keep books in master bedroom shelf or our basement office nook. I'm a cluttery snob. Dad and I share a preference for crisp, simple decor. I'm his only kid who did and he pulled his hair out with the older kids. That's why he was bald - no doubt. My hubs and 3 kids are semi-slobs! Only 1 of my 4 grandsons seems to 'get it' - the one who requested a bookcase for Christmas present at age 10. Love that kid! Man LOL

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I prefer just a few books maybe 2 or 3 that's it I love the cozy chairs by the fireplace perfect place to read...
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I love the flowered chairs and the green couch and the large windows.  Other than that a no.  Definitely don't like the books on the coffee table.  I am a big reader and love books, but during my stage of life purging/downsizing I disposed of all books except by bible, Thomas Kindale picture book which was a retirement gift from a friend and also kept a very few of my cook books, a bird book and a dog book and a very few of places of interest we have visited. I prefer a center piece on my coffee table.

I no longer purchase books but get them through the library.

I love to read but never really did have a desire for coffee table books.  I have my pile of books to read in my reading room with the other few in my bookcase with my comfortable chair and ottoman and a good light. The leaves plenty of room in by bookcase for family pictures.

I remember when my brother got a divorce and moved.  He had bookcases and boxes full of books to figure out what to do with.  He had no desire to read them again. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Books solely used for decoration alway tends to offend me.  They are not toys, they are a treasure.

Honored Contributor

The print slip covers on the chairs are just lovely.  As far as having books on display, I have always done so.  I do not have a coffee table out of choice but I do have lamp tables where I place the books and then put a old family photo on the one or two stacked books.  I also put collectible pieces on the books. 

Just to add, I have many old VCR tapes of the  old Universal horrors, Dracula, Wolfman etc . Instead of getting rid of the tapes I put them out at Halloween time and use them like I use the books, it's a seasonal look!