Honored Contributor

Here's a room Peter Dunham did.  They don't give a hint as to where it is in the U.S.,  just that a globetrotter lives there:

Living+Room1_Peter+Dunham_Atherton.jpg

Do you like stacks of books on the coffee table?  To give context, this is a large house, that yes, does have a library, a den and other sitting spaces.

Yet he chose to load the coffee table with books, as designers often do.  I'm assuming this is the main living room, it looks the most likely-- the only other image of it I could find shows this fireplace area, just outside the range of the above picture:

Living+Room_Peter+Dunham_Atherton.jpg

I love the presence of books in every room.  I doubt I'd have the discipline to reserve my coffee table for this many though.  I need room to put coffee cups down, and of course, my own little vignettes of candles, ginger jars, a tray, etc.

As we talk, I have 3 books on my coffee table, which have been there for at least a month. (I did not curate them there for purposes of this post, ha.)  They are neatly stacked, and have my vintage brass swan bowl on top, with a fat candle in it.  The books are:   "The Power of Glamour" by Annette Tapert,  "Decorating on Ebay" by Barbara Guggenheim, and "Rough Magic",  Paul Alexander's biography of Sylvia Plath.

Do you typically have books on your coffee table?   Coffee table type books that you and your guests can leaf through, or novels or....?  

Respected Contributor

Re: BOOKS IN THE LIVING ROOM

I have one book on my coffee table only b/c my daughter looks through it often.  It is a hard covered collection of Peanuts cartoons.  I am a big Snoopy fan and have a few Snoppy collectables in the family room where the book is - so it fits in.  

I think the coffee table in the designer room has way too many books.  There is no room to set a drink down or decorate with other things.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I like that room-  the colors and the light fit me and I always have books on my coffee table.  There aren’t multiple stacks as in this room, but I live in much less space and that much of any one kind of decor would be intrusive.

Honored Contributor

I really like the room, and I don't mind books, but maybe not as many as are shown here. Maybe 3 or 4 books for me! I think Coffee Table books can look really nice.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind a couple of coffee table books on a coffee table  but this looks cluttered to me.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I have books stacked, not as a decorative touch, but as a necessity. Music books, etc. on the music side of the living room (not just in the book cases), and textbooks, etc. in the office.

I do love coffee-table-worthy books, however! And one I've been searching for, because I put a pastel drawing in there that is good enough to get framed. I can't believe I ever gave away that book, much less my artwork!

Honored Contributor

Only 3 books? We recently did an inventory of our books On the main floor we have about 350 books. Several hundred more on other levels.

Honored Contributor

Overall, I find the room appealing, though there are things I don't care for, including the coffee table itself and probably the rug. No, I'd not load my coffee table up with so many books, though a few is fine. There have been times I've had books on the table, though I don't currently.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I like the room.  And I am a book stacker too.

Respected Contributor

I love the style of the room in general...but a big NO to that many books on the coffee table. One or two would be okay for me.  I don't keep anything decorative on my coffee table anymore because I have a cat who loves to de-clutter!