Respected Contributor

Attn: Crafters! Do U Hoard?

[ Edited ]

SInce I started doing Arts n' Crafts, I've come to realize, I have a serious hoarding problem.

I used to hoard clothes; then shoes, then cosmetics.  Three years ago, I cleaned out everything - because I had a new hobby.

Smiley Frustrated

I've got so many paints, canvasses, stencils, brushes, yarn, looms ...  And, I want to get a sewing machine. 

Now, I need shelves!

Shelving will only clutter up my house more.  Yet, in my mind, I'd be creating "space".

Woman Very Happy

SMH.  

I was watching a series on AMZN Prime called "Animal Hoarding".  Thank goodness, I don't have THAT problem!

Edit:
Another reason, I'm out of space ... I'm still hoarding furniture!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Attn: Crafters! Do U Hoard?

OMG! Yes I hoard it all, the real problem is when I start a new craft instead of looking through my stash I go buy more!  When DH and I moved I had a yard sale and one lady said it looks like a craft store here!  😂😂😂😂 

Honored Contributor

I think the amount of things one needs to do crafts is one reason I don't do them. 

Not that I don't have a few of my own hoards!lol 

I have done a few things in the past that might be considered slightly crafty, and bought the things to do it. Even though it was relatively small scale to what most women do, I found having that 'stuff' around in between times, no matter how limited it was, seemed like 'junk' to me. 

Along with not being all that creative or artistic, I just don't like having yet more 'stuff' around, especially things that need work to become something. So crafting never has been my thing, a big part of it being all the 'stuff' that has to be around to do it.

Respected Contributor

When I find something that I love I have to have all of the colors.

Eye Shadow, yarn, fabric, thread, paint, jewelry beads & crystals...

I am wonderfully organized, but I do have a whole lot of the things that may "need" when I get the time to do my crafts.

I have a sewing machine & embroidery machine so I have to have all of the things for both of those.

And so much fabric. Totes & totes with all of the fabrics.

My jewelry making stash is ridiculous.

My husband is a saint.

Respected Contributor

I was raised with a hoarder ... No .. No  .. and No ........

Honored Contributor

I could probably open my own store with all my papercrafting goodies!  Doesn't stop me from adding more to my collection!  I love making my own cards, so I do get to use some, but much of my stash is from the days when I scrap booked.  (I realy need to get back to that, as I loved doing it.)

Respected Contributor

I'll give you an example .. does a 82 year old woman really need a

Holloween costume she wore when she was in high school ??

It hung on a hanger on the back of a door until it finally rotted and

fell off the hanger ....now that's hoarding ....and that's just the tip

of the iceberg ....

Respected Contributor

And yes she was a crafter and knitter so we had that too .....

Honored Contributor

I had started several crafty projects. And bought all the necessary "tools" for my projects. I slowly was buying at a faster rate than I would ever use all the stuff I was buying.

THEN, I went to a family event at my Brother-in-laws house. Somehow, I ended up playing a game with the kids. We were in the "craft" room. But there was no room. The table was packed, the walls were lined with bookcases packed with crafts and there were tubs all over the room packed with crafts. It was a rather large room. And it was a wakeup call to me. 

I was inching toward that. And I do not have a large house. I would not be able to have just a craft room. So I stopped buying. It is so easy to fall into different projects and all the stuff needed to make that project. 

So fortunately my crafting hoard was nipped in the bud. 

Respected Contributor

I think that once a person cleans out the home of a dead parent or friend, they wake up to how MUCH stuff clutters not only the deceased person's life, but thier own.

It's what started me on the way to severe decluttering. I STILL watch QVC and sometimes find myself reaching for the phone to order, but then STOP.

So far in 2018 I have not order ONE THING from TeeVee or Amazon, or ANYWHERE, and that is after finalizing the sale of Mom's house, completing her estate paperwork and taxes, and then the relentless trips to the Salvation Army for her stuff and mine.

It is hard to get rid of stuff that reminds you of Mom, or your earlier days maybe while married or even a better time in your life.

BUT....it is actually freeing to make decisions and get rid of the oppressive clutter. 

Face it....if stuff is in the back of cupboards, closets, and if your $50,000 dollar car is out in the weather because your two car garage is stuffed with ****** you NEVER use and probably never will, that's a problem.

In my life, no more shelves, boxes, vacuum storage bags, bins, etc. No more "flat surfacitis". NO more underbed storage, metal safe boxes, plastic lids and storage containers. If it needs to be stored, it's outta here!!!

I love going down my basement....you could hold a dance down there!!!!!