Super Contributor

Attaching items to rock wall

I bought a 6 foot fall garland at JoAnn's, and want to hang it in a decorative way above my fireplace. It is not a wreath. I don't want to drill any holes or use nails. Nothing will stick, tried glue gun, masking tape. I guess the rock is too gritty. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Attaching items to rock wall

Any way you can run a fishing line across and somehow attach/drap the garlard to it?

It's almost undetectable on it's own, but sturdy.  Use thumbtacks to fasten the fishing line to the wall on each side of your fireplace.

Might work?

Super Contributor

Good idea! I might try that. Also was thinking about silicone, but that would probably be like the hot glue. No stick. If it were brick, they sell some brick clips at Lowe's. I actually bought some, but the rock is laid differently than brick, so it didn't work. I'm pretty determined, so I might try the fising string idea. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@nanny24, I saw something just the other day.  I am in Nova Scotia but I am sure it is available in your area.  It is a metal plate that grips the brick on the top and bottom and has a hook in the middle of the plate.  I have brick on the front of my house so I noticed it.  Check your hardware store or some place like Michael's.  If I can find a photo, I will post again.  Good luck!  LM

Super Contributor

Lilysmom, I think you are talking about the brick clip. It would work on brick, but I have rock. I even bought 2 of them at Lowe's. The rock is set more flush with the mortar, so the brick clip won't work. Thanks for the idea, though!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

nanny24, I bet I have the same kind of rock wall that you have and had the same problem attaching a garland. I finally got PO'd and drilled into the mortar between the rocks. It really doesn't show and if it bothers you, it can be easily filled. I also tried the brick clips and when I got them home I realized quickly that they wouldn't work. Surprisingly, a six foot garland is quite heavy and needs something sturdy to hold on to. I hope you can solve the problem. It's frustrating, I concur.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

The company that makes Gorilla Glue now have a duct-tape product on the market that they say will stick to anything including brick.  I'd give it a try.  Should be in hardware stores.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@nanny24, I have investigated this because I'd thought about hanging garland on the exterior stone archway of my home. The best recommendation was for industrial strength hot glue (there really is such a thing). It will hold the garland and not harm your wall. You can peel off the glue after you remove the garland. HTH

Trusted Contributor

I think @pattypeep has the best solution. I would drill or nail something into the mortar. Then you can use those rubber holiday ties to attach it. They are clear or green with little bumps that are sold in the Christmas section of most stores.

You would be confident it would not fall and take out something fragile sitting underneath it.

Super Contributor

Thanks to all who replied to my question. You gals are great!!!

Nanny