Respected Contributor

I have area rugs as most of my first floor is HW floors and it is hard for the dogs (slipping and sliding) so we use area rugs.

The SMALLEST area rug is 9 x12 and in reality the cleaning -deep cleaning, high traffic areas is a pain.

Having them removed, professionally cleaned and returned is VERY expensive.

Does anyone have any practical solutions.

Honestly my plan at this point is to buy less expensive rugs or deeply discounted rugs and just replace on a regular basis.

Honored Contributor

Could you have them cleaned professionally without removing from your home?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I would swith to inexpensive rugs.  I'd budget for annual cleanings and vacuum thoroughly to keep them looking good.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Could you have them cleaned professionally without removing from your home?

No one wants to risk damaging the HW floors which I can understand.

The smallest rug was $350 to clean.  That was a discount if I had them all done.

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl I have a rug shampooer and in the spring or summer, my dh helps me take our rugs onto the deck on a warm, sunny day and I shampoo them outside and bring them back in. They dry quickly with the right weather. The biggest we have is 8x10.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I have always had dogs and area rugs.  I use a rug cleaning machine by Bissel and sometimes I take them out in the backyard, use a water solution with a little dishwashing liquid and then  hose them off.  I then hang them over the porch railing and they are dry within a couple of hours.  I have other friends who have successfully done the same but it isn't something I would do with a really expensive rug--your call!

Esteemed Contributor

Wool rugs do not hold dirt or stains like synthic fibers, nor do spills absorb into wool. They are easy to maintain with a vacuum and, if necessary, a clean wet cloth. I have mine cleaned only upon occasion (seems like it's been 8-10 years) and they do it on my garage floor! Takes a couple of days to dry. They return to lay the rugs in my LR, family room and library. I have smaller wool rugs in all three bathrooms which I'm able to have cleaned on a yearly basis at a reasonable charge. An additional bonus: they are so soft and warm underfoot!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

Hi, I suggest a carpet cleaning company can clean them. I agree, having them picked up, cleaned and returned would be a hassle and costly. The rug we purchased for new hardwood flooring is a 10x13 Kathy Ireland from HomeGoods. Not thousands of dollars - I think we paid 399.00 and thats my plan when it needs it. Our dogs are not allowed to lay on it, they have their own cushy beds. If the dogs were allowed to lay on it, it would be filthy in a week 😩. 

PS I wanted to add...we had a super excellent prof cleaning company we use to use and they said absolutely no problem shampooing any area rug for us. My daughter used them and for an approx dining space rug 6x9, they charged $69.

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I have area rugs as most of my first floor is HW floors and it is hard for the dogs (slipping and sliding) so we use area rugs.

The SMALLEST area rug is 9 x12 and in reality the cleaning -deep cleaning, high traffic areas is a pain.

Having them removed, professionally cleaned and returned is VERY expensive.

Does anyone have any practical solutions.

Honestly my plan at this point is to buy less expensive rugs or deeply discounted rugs and just replace on a regular basis.

With less expensive rugs, be sure to buy a high quality pad for beneath the rugs. Also, make sure the rugs do not have a backing (made of rubber-based materials) which may discolor your hard wood floors. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

With less expensive rugs, be sure to buy a high quality pad for beneath the rugs. Also, make sure the rugs do not have a backing (made of rubber-based materials) which may discolor your hard wood floors. 

Any rug at any price needs a quality pad.  The pads are sold based on what floor you are putting it on and they cut the pad to measure.

My husband almost fell over when he saw the price of the pads!!! LOL