Honored Contributor

Re: Are your windows covered by blinds/shades/curtains??

We live on the Bay and our house is raised 10' high.

We have Bamboo Panels on our windows on the Bay side that we only close in the summer when the sun beats in and makes it way too hot.

The street side of the house which is 2 floors of bedrooms has drapes that we close at night.

Respected Contributor

During the day the curtains are open....far back from the road in front and off the great room in the back there is a detached garage and very tall evergreens.

One window out front is eye level because of an added deck.  That window has a tall stained glass art piece resting against the window:

D07D8C9E-AF0D-40DB-BC43-6E79F01CFB76.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

I use sheers a lot. I have a large front porch and had to put semi-sheers on the window as I have a neighor who likes to "drop by" whenever it suits her. She checks the garage to see if my car is there. If she rings and knocks, and I don't answer, then she starts looking in the windows for me.

This way she can't see me, and later I tell her I must have been in the basement, upstairs, etc. and didn't hear her. 

I get the light from outside which I enjoy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our home has insulated popcorn blinds/shades at every window. The living & dining room shades stay open about a foot even at night. We have decorative valances in those rooms but no drapes. 

The bedrooms have drapes and shades. The shades usually stay all the way down with the drapes pulled back.

I want more privacy in those rooms. 

Our sunroom has vertical blinds which help us control the amount of sunlight. They might be partially or completely open or closed depending on the angle of the sun and the temperature. The blinds at the entry door to the sunroom are pulled back all the time even at night for easier access to our backyard. 

Honored Contributor

Me and my two sisters have all had peeping Tom problems.  We live in Birmingham AL.  From years ago, till today, peeping Tom peepers are a scary issue here.  My sisters next door neighbor spys on her with binoculars and doesn't even try to hide it.  She is 65 and he is in his 30's.  There are a lot of scary people out there and it's important to protect yourselves from them.  

Respected Contributor

I like privacy.  Bedrooms are always closed shut at night.  During the day, I crack open my shutters and blinds.  Right now window coverings in my family room and kitchen are a thorn in my side.  I finally took down the ugly curtains the previous homeowners left when we painted the family room.  My plan was to get shades but with the pandemic and the stores being closed, it would take forever.  So I moved onto curtains.  I have a shipment of blackout curtains arriivng any day now and I can't wait.  My family room and kitchen have very large windows, 8 in all and even though it's private back there, I need some privacy and mostly I need to cut down on the sun.

Honored Contributor

I have blinds on most my windows and a few have curtains. I open them all in the morning and close them down at night--weird you see all these fabulous houses with naked windows----too much like a fish bowl

Honored Contributor

Speaking of this, I have a neighbor, young couple in their 30's with 2 children, and they have a huge patio door off of their kitchen, and they leave the blinds wide open all day and all night, even when they went on vacation for 10 days, they left all of their drapes and blinds open.

She told me that if you leave them open, people will assume someone is home, and chances are very slim that you would be robbed, however if you close up your house, robbers know no-one is home, especially if your blinds and drapes never open during the day...

That all may be true, but I don't know how they can stand to have everything open at night when they are home....but to each his own! I hope they are never put to the test. No alarm system either...... 

Trusted Contributor

Plantation shutters on all windows, except in the sunroom where I have wide slat wooden blinds.

Some of the windows have stationary drapery panels for decor. The shutters are open all day and closed at night regardless of weather. The blinds in the sunroom are open/closed depending on the weather -- during the cooler months (I live in TX) I have the blinds open until nighttime. During the summer the blinds are closed all day in an attempt to keep the sunroom cooler.

However, the plantation shutters on the west windows are sometimes closed/narrowed during the summer - again, in an attempt to keep those rooms cooler.

Honored Contributor

@Newgate   Yep, same here. Drapes all around, open throughout the day, closed at night - at least the 1st floor, bath 2nd floor and our bedroom. It's not necessary for the other two bedrooms.

Nosy stranger thing - I've also had a stranger on my front porch one morning peering in my living room window, literally scared the c*ap out of me.