Honored Contributor

Are you an "over all eyeballer" or a "detail nitpicker"....

..... when evaluating the rooms we like to post about here in the Home Forum?

I'm an over all eyeballer, and don't usually mention details unless they jump out at me in a good or bad way.  I focus more on the feel and/or vibe of a space.

Some of you focus more on specific items, what you like or don't like about them, and what you'd replace them with.

So, which are you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you an "over all eyeballer" or a "detail nitpicker"....

@faeriemoon -

I'm like you.

I might go back another time and look at what i like or why I don't like a room so seeing more details. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon  I am like you.  When looking at houses to buy colour iof walls, decor, etc., does not do it for me It is the ‘feel’ of the house when  I enter - same looking at posts of rooms, etc. it is first the overall feel then maybe later check the details.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon 

Interesting question.

I’ve mentioned specific things I would change about rooms, but I have also commented positively about the overall look of a room. So...my answer is “yes” to both.  😉

I will admit my eye is sometimes drawn to one thing in the room I dislike. I am a very detailed person by nature so I want it to look just right for me. 

Honored Contributor

I know what I like and have an interest in Interior Design.  When I was younger I would rearrange furniture and stand back to see if it looks good or if I need to change it.  I don't care for clutter but I like a room to have some warmth.  So in answer to your question, I am neither but I know what I like.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@wilma I agree that sometimes we can be both, and sometimes we can be neither.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich  I do that too.  I'll come back to a thread and get a second look, then bring up some details that I left out of a previous post.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay  Yup; sometimes you need a second look!

Honored Contributor

I'm both.

Initially, it's an overall first impression.  How would I feel living in this room...particularly paying attention to colors and overall style.

Then, I look at everything in the room in detail.   

However, my final evaluation isn't dependent on whether I could live in the room, it's my preferred style and colors,   it's whether I think it's good design.  

Esteemed Contributor

If I like it, mostly I take it in all at once.

If I don't like it, then I start listing all the items I hate.  Ending with the entire room.