Trusted Contributor

when i lived at home my bedroom was messy... but when you have your own place its totally different  (for me anyway) i live alone, so my place never gets real messy. but everything has to be in the right spot. my landlord came in once and said do you even live here??  lol  and i love to vacuum even though living alone i do it 3 times a week.. and i love for my place to smell good, so im always burning candles in my apt.. i do think i have a little ocd.. but nothing wrong with that.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I have always been a neat freak.  When we were kids my sister and I shared a room with twin beds.  My bed was made up neatly everyday and hers was a disaster.  Pretty funny because when I go to her house her bed is still unmade and messy!!  Some things never change.   At 5years old my children made their beds every morning and their room was always picked up..........fast forward to their own homes, they seem to have shifted to their aunts way of living, oh well I did my best....LOL.

@LindaSal I have a close friend that is such a neat freak, she drove her 2 daughters crazy growing up, so much so that now as adults her daughters could care less about having a neat house.....

My friend is very OCD though, and her girls grew up never being allowed to have one thing out of place, and well we all know kids, that is not going to happen, so I think that they rebelled when they grew up! When our daughters were growing up, we were a lot more lenient than we are now.......

Respected Contributor

Both my husband and I are very neat and tidy.  I keep a clean, organized house.  My mother was a good housekeeper.  My father didn't make messes.  I could remember I'd have to help with chores before I could play outside with my friends, my sister too.  My sister isn't as neat and tidy as my mom or myself.  At times, just down right messy but I have to admit she has been improving.  Teaching my daughter has been an exercise in patience.  She's not terribly messy but sometimes just getting her to make her bed is an ordeal.  I always tell her what my father said to me....."take care of what you have."

Honored Contributor

While I don't enjoy cleaning, I do enjoy a clean home.  Doesn't a room look so much better when It's clean & tidy?  It gives me a good feeling when my house is clean & in order....so yes I'm a neat & tidy person.  

Honored Contributor

Someday i will be-----have been moving in and out of my house for 2 years now---tree fell on it in 2018 and destroyed the roof and 2nd floor--out for that repair,  into a rental then back into house . been here since Nov of 2019 until a month ago when i sold the house--now moving to a new place----always moving!!! And boxes , doantions, junk everywhere------makes my brain hurt!!! Have lived in this house for 35 years---you can imagine all the stuff there is----

Respected Contributor

@tampalady  I'm the same way, when our son and his wife and two dogs are here for a visit as soon as they leave I'm cleaning house.

Esteemed Contributor

Both my parents were extremely neat, especially my mom.  I was an absolute slob growing up and my mom would always comment on it.  Now, I'm the total opposite and have turned into my OCD mom.  LOL!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I keep my counters wiped down and my dishes done daily. I am not spotless, but what you describe, @Harpa the atrocious housekeepers- I couldn't live that way. Being covered in clutter would made me crazy. I already can't find what I'm looking for half the time, if it was like that, it would be even worse. 

My home isn't spotless though, its obviously lived in.  I have animals. They aren't nasty, but they do track in dirt and I vaccuum pretty of often. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I grew up in a "Do NOT Touch" household.  I am now the absolute opposite.    

Fingerprints don't bother me........Messy cushions, rugs with footprints, half-burned candles.........NOTHING bothers

me

That just brought back a memory. I had a friend who cleaned houses for a living. She hurt herself and needed some help. I went with her to clean a huge house over by the country club. These people had high carpets in some of the rooms. They wanted the rugs cleaned, but no footprints were to be left on them. So, we had to jump! 

When I was working, I had a house cleaner and I never would have asked her to jump to avoid leaving footprints. I think some people are just too big for their britches.

Things don't bother me much either, really. I just like to see my counters, lol.

Honored Contributor

When I got my first place I was a slob, maybe because everything had to be"just so" growing up and the nagging drove me crazy, but I'm extremely tidy now, something my parents thought they'd never see the day. It definitely makes me feel more in control especially when other things are chaotic.